ACCLIMATION

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any other method of acculmating fish? This is the only way I know of...

the rock

the rock says...
the drip method is the best way to acclimate new items, you put all the items you are acclimating into a bucket at the base of your tank and run a small (1/4") tube from the tank that reaches short of the bucket. you tie a loose knot in the tube so it will slowly drip the water in, once you start the flow from the tank down the tube. the items can be kept together in the same bucket usually for some time without fighting. you just pour the item and the water from the bag into the bucket and then start the drip, make it drip fairly fast, but only drip, this will slowly allow the fish or invert to acclimate to the new water conditions, and then just pick them up with your hand or net and place in the tank and they will be used to new conditions, it takes a lot longer than the conventional method but is a sure way of acclimating them properly

fishgirl

I always use the drip method, but I don't do it near as slowly as most people suggest. I find that the fish are more interested in getting out of the bag than "reducing stress." I have great success with a drip method of only about 5 minutes, because if your water quality is good, and the fish you picked is healthy, there should be no problem anyway. I don't use any acclimation when moving a fish from the QT to the display, because I keep these two tanks exactly the same as far as water. I NEVER use nets, though... I always catch my fish gently in a plastic bag, only use nets to guide them into it.
It really helps their slime coat stay intact. Everybody should do it that way.