Achilles reef safe?

ssweet1

I am so mad at my newly aquired achilles, he is constantly picking at my clams. Does anyone have these beautiful fish in a reef with clams? I am hoping it is a phase or else
Carrie

pitbull01

It is NOT a phase. Tangs are hit and miss. Some will, some won't. Take it back and order a new one. Most of the time they won't, but it appears as though you didn't get lucky this time. What kind of water current do you have for him? What size is your tank. I do not have one but I know people that do. Achilles tangs NEED a TON if water movement if they are to survive.
-Adam

ssweet1

It is a 245 gallon with Iwaki 70 pump so plenty of flow! I also have a powerhead in a dead zone due to the 350 pounds of rock I have. I am not concerned with the fish doing well I am concerned with the dang thing messing with my clams!! I dont know how in the world I will catch him, I guess I will have to put a net over my clams for now. I had only heard that they were passive and reef safe. They are so pretty but not when they are eating your clams!! Carrie

pitbull01

Yeah, but like I said, try another and most likely it wont happen again. Your tank sounds perfect for one. I would buy a fish trap(they work very well) and maybe put a small clam in there to lure him or his favorite other food and he will be caught. In a tank of your size that is the only realistic way to catch him.

pitbull01

As a general rule, tangs are reef safe. However, like I said before they are hit and miss. Most won't eat corals or clams or anything, however a few will. Think you just got unlucky this time.
-Adam

ssweet1

Too bad they dont make fish darts where you can shoot them to sleep like wild animals.
I cant believe I just typed that
Carrie

pitbull01

Originally Posted by SSweet1
Too bad they dont make fish darts where you can shoot them to sleep like wild animals.
I cant believe I just typed that
Carrie