Acro Red Bugs

nissan577

There has been a million of articles of these little creatures all over the reef world. Many people trying different treatments. Example:
revive, coralrx, lugols, iodine, Interceptor (dog medicine) etc...
so i wanna post what i use to get rid of them :)
so i was looking into the interceptor but it looks like once you add it to your tank it will kill every crab, shrimp, pod, etc you have. so i was like No i dont wanna risk it. and plus you need a vet prescription to get it. so i was looking around my house and found Hartz Advanced Care Rid Worm (also a dog medicine). Each pill has 113.5mg of pyrantel pamoate. w.e that is lol. so this is what i did:
1. I got a styrofoam box and a rio 1100 for flow.
2. I added 3 1g of my tank water into the styrofoam
3. Crush half of the pill into powder.
4. Place all the sps and a rock that had sps growing on it. (i was sad of the pods being killed)
5. Pour the powder into the water with the Rio on moving everything around.
6. Waited 60 mins and had a 1g bucket of water with Revive from TLF.
7. Took out each coral and check to see if they had any bugs, with no sign i then rinse and shake them for 5 mins each to take off any other parasite that was left.
8. Took out the coral and dip them in another tank water 1g container
9. Had a Koralia blow away all the slime and some powder that was left you can say.
10. Place back in the tank and so far to this min i see no RED BUGS

as for the rock that had pods on it i did lose some of the pods but there was still some left so you can say it didnt kill all of them which is a good sign

Once again i havent seen anyone try it with Hartz Advanced Care Rid Worm so i wouldnt recommend trying it on your DT.
If you wanna try it get a container and follow the steps i did. Everyone has done it with using Interceptor so in a week i will update this and let you know how it goes.
Carlos
any questions or opinions please post

nissan577

good :) i did not that much but i did thats why i did that
and so far i tried a medicine that hasnt been tried and iam having success on it and it didnt kill all my pods like interceptor does

nissan577

the Red bugs, i really dont know what to tell you mom, all i know is i gotta dip all my new sps that i get to make i dont get them anymore.

nissan577

there many things out there to use. like lugol, revive, coralrx. just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

nikesb

From experience, revive has removed red bugs from my acros before putting them into the tank. many people say interceptor is the only for sure way. i dipepd in 5x power and it removed them without harming my acros. interceptor dips work well.

nissan577

true, like i said after the treatment i inspected the acro to make sure there was not red bugs, when i saw nothing i still dipped them in the revive.

There are two steps of preventive maintenance that is strongly recommended
1) Coral dip
2) Quarantine (you dont wanna do it but it can make all the difference in the world)
Tust me, I have learned the HARD way.