Acrylic or glass for bowfront?

mytwoboys

I would like to hear some opinions from you all since you seem to be way more experienced than me. I have only had glass tanks, so would like to know if it's better/safer to have an acrylic bowfront than a glass one? It's an 80g, 4yrs. old.
What do you think? Also, is that too old or does it not matter with acrylic?
Thanks for any help. :thinking:

Y

yeffre kix

Well it may be a bad time for me to be replying but I would never go with a glass tank again. They are terribly heavy making them a pain to move. In my experience acrylics are simply stronger and safer in the long run. I've had a 90 gal tall and 125 gal long in acrylic an both were great tanks. The 125 is holding what live rock and fish I could save when my 4 month old 300 gal glass tank broke. Its over 10 years old and moved 3 times with me.
The only drawback to acrylic is the scratch factor. You have to very cautious when cleaning acrylic. Its easy to scratch, and that ruins the view. However you can drill it quite easily for custom water flow. The acrylic is clearer too, for a distortion free veiw and no discoloration.
Considering the investment in livestock, rock, and sand the small step up in price is nothing for the added peace of mind.

mytwoboys

Thanks! I've been reading what happened to you and I'm really sorry to hear it. I can't even imagine the headache much less the stress factor! I hope all goes well with you.
Just remember to breathe!