activated carbon filtration

ffishermen

does anybody run this 24/7? I have been doing this for awhile & I didn't notice anything bad going on so, I was curious if anybody else did this.
thanks

D

daniel411

Currently I'm running carbon 24-7. Changing it about every 2-3 weeks. Can't say I notice any problems. There was an article a few months back in one of the aquarium mags that was strongly against it for reef tanks. I'm considering doing a trial and just running it a few hours every few days, for a few weeks. To see if I notice any difference.

poiboy

Carbon removes to many trace elements required for SWF. IMO you should only run it when you want to polish your water or if you have a spike. 5 days max.

madd catt

Also the running of the carbon may effect the fish in some way.not good for them. cannot recall the article.running carbon constantly that is.

j-cal

I run carbon 24-7 with no ill effects that I can see. I have very clean water with good parameters. Its a pain to change canister filters like mine tho :(

D

daniel411

Yeah, I just changed from the Magnum 350 canister for carbon filtration to the little magnum hang on. A bit easier to do a quick carbon change.