Activated Charcoal ?

oceana

i run it for one week once a month.
i have three media bags that i fill and place one in my over flow one in front of each return pump

ctgretzky9

I have a wet/dry i use that has it running on 24/7. I do change the media every two weeks or so to prevent any nitrate buildup, and it is turned off during feedings for an hour or so.
There are no fast and hard rules, I have heard reliable people say they rarely use carbon to people like me who run it continually. People in both categories have beautiful tanks, so it comes down to your own mood

acrylic300

I was losing some clarity. So I did a 20% water change and threw a bag of charcoal in my canister filter. Guess I'll take it out when the water clears up.

wax32

I keep a sock containing cup of carbon in my sump at all times and my water stays really clear. I change it once a month.

ctgretzky9

Be wary of leaving carbon in too long. It eventually, depending on bio load etc...gets used up. Most reefers say 2-3 weeks is the max for carbon to be beneficial.
After that time, it leaches back into the system, similar to a phosphate sponge.

acrylic300

Ok, I removed it after 24 hours (the water was clear). When I took the bag out I noticed it was leaching black fluid.
Is this bad?

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by acrylic300
Ok, I removed it after 24 hours (the water was clear). When I took the bag out I noticed it was leaching black fluid.
Is this bad?

Make sure before you use your carbon, you rinse it well in a good source water (using tap or poor water will only shorten the life of the carbon slightly, and can be leached back into the tank) to get off the "dust." This is what is going into your tank-the black fluid you saw, most likely.
I do not belive it is harmfull to the tank in a small amount to have that black fluid (carbon dust) enter that tank.

acrylic300

Everything looks to be doing better. My xenia are snapping open and shut like they are on speed or something almost freakishly fast. I'm worried about my palys, one colony was shut on one side.
It's amazing I thought these new lights I bought where a bit yellow--the charcoal changed all that--everything is bright white now.

acrylic300

I dont really consider mine a reef tank yet. I have soft corals, polyps, and mushrooms. I guess time will tell if it was wise or not.

pbtang

Just asking, because I'm a newbie to this hobby, and yes I have a reef tank...but my water is yellow. Just recently ordered a Euroreef protein skimmer. Wondering if using both the protein skimmer and charocoal will be harmful or beneficial in removing all elements or just some elements from the water???????

aquapro_1

How long have you had your protien skimmer? Model? If new, give it a couple weeks to work. I have a dual bak pak. I empty the reserve tank every 2 days. But at the beginning, I had to empty it out every day. The water was BROWN!! not the mention the brown muddy slim on everything. Had to clean my reserve canisters, too. Everything takes times. Be patient. Always give eveything a month when trying new systems.

pbtang

Oh, I don't have it yet...I ordered it yesterday, Euroreef CS6-2...I believe. OK, I will try to be patient with the protein skimmer first, but I want pristene water conditions so bad...as I'm sure we all do!

pbtang

Acyrlic300, so how much did you add to your tank. I heard 1 pd, to every 50 gallons, is this true? Acyrlic300...where abouts do you live in MO? I'm there often as I have family living there. :cheer:

acrylic300

I live in Moberly about 30 miles north of Columbia. Im not sure how much it wieghed but a sock about the size of a role of toilet paper-down inside the center of an Ocean Filter.

mudplayerx

Make sure you soak a small sample of your carbon in some ro/distilled water for a few hours, then test that water for phosphates. A lot of the carbon brands use hydrochloric acid as a means of "activating" the carbon. This can leads to the carbon leaching phosphates into your water.

pbtang

Originally Posted by acrylic300
I live in Moberly about 30 miles north of Columbia. Im not sure how much it wieghed but a sock about the size of a role of toilet paper-down inside the center of an Ocean Filter.
Too cool, my brother lives in Columbia Il, I will be there this next week!
Thanks for your help, I put some activiated charcoal, in this morning, we will see if it works, if not I will be waiting patiently for the arrival of my protein skimmer :cheer: