add live sand to cc

almarktool

Hi there ,
Got a quick question for the expersts out there would i gain anything at all by adding some live sand to my exsiting cc which is approx 3/4 inch deep it is a 72 gallon tank with 20lbs of live rock in it adding another 30lbs in a few weeks
thanks
mark

fshhub

well youwould gain from the bacteria colony but that is it, as far as depth, the cc takes up way too much space, if you wanted a 4 inch bed, with that much cc you'll need at least a 4-1/2 inch bed instead(for the same results), teh cc is also harder on some creatures, and teh inverts and pods, lathough they will live in ther(they do not have much choice) the coarser substrate is harsher on them, plus the cc wil still trap things in it, and i twill eventually work it's way to the top
i have to say IMO and IME(both) that i would, if i could remove the cc all together and add sand, you'll probazbly end up doing it anyhow in the long run(i was there)
HTH

scott270

i have 15 lbs of cc with 55 lbs of agronite how can i get out the cc if i wanted to put in some ls

carbo

You need to take out as much of the CC has possible. I did the same thing. I put CC in my tank and then a month later knew I made a mistake. The way you can get the CC out is with a kitty litter scooper (new one) the scooper allows you to get most of the CC out without loosing much water.
When you add the LS depending on the size of your tank you do the following. I have a 100 gal tank. After getting out the CC, I purchased a PVC pipe that was 4 inches in dia. and 24 inches tall. You put the pipe into the tank so it sits flat on the bottom. Then you take your LS and pour it slowly into the pipe about half way up. Then you very slowly lift the pipe off the bottom of the tank the slower the better (this reduces the chances of the water becoming very cloudy) if you have power heads on the bottom for circulation turn them off until you have all the LS into the tank.
Well, that is a long post, but that is the way I did it.

ocellaris_keeper

I would leave the 3/4" CC and add the 3 1/4" LS right on top to create the 4" DSB. The CC will not effect and most likely enhance the ability to trap gases in the lower level. I've seen it done this way many time in North Carolina and the DC area in both aquariums and pet stores.