add sand to tank

clownbuddies

After rinsing the sand and adding it to my tank, do I leave the filter on or off. I remember reading something on this message board, but I can't remember. How long until the milkiness goes away?:)

escape2thewater

Most leave the filter off for awhile. Depending on what type of sand, how much, and what else is in the tank will determine how long until it settles. If you add some LR or LS it will speed both the sand settleing and help your cycle - if you are cycling a new tank....It can last overnight if you have LR/LS or weeks if nothing else in the tank at all. HTH.
Kyle
:cool:

foulbrew

If this is southdown it will take a few days, maybe 4 if you rinsed it. I would not run any filters until it settles.

clownbuddies

I used aragonite sand. I have been cycling my tank for 2 weeks with LR. I just added the sand tonight and it is very, very milky. I guess I will turn the pump off. There are no creatures in there yet.

wintrmte

Originally posted by clownbuddies
I used aragonite sand. I have been cycling my tank for 2 weeks with LR. I just added the sand tonight and it is very, very milky. I guess I will turn the pump off. There are no creatures in there yet.

Boy am I glad you posted this! We just set our tank up last night, and we also used Aragonite sand. Sadly, I didn't rinse it (ugh!)...
We didn't start the filter yet, as the tank looks like a dust storm. My question is, in a couple of days should we add in the LR and LS, even if the tank is still cloudy?

clownbuddies

I started the filter up again this morning. There wasn't a change from last night. I had a 20 Gal. that I put some of the sand in and I kept it running all night. It cleared out by morning. It didn't have as much of the Aragonit sand in it and it is smaller, but it did clear out. I put my LR rock in first. It has been cycling for 2 weeks. I heard it is best to NOT put the LR on the sand, because the sand can cause instability.
I am waiting to see the dust clear.