addinf another false perc

r1v2c

If i've already had 1 false perc (about 1.5 inches long) in my 65 gallon now for 3 weeks ... would it be okay to add a second one that is a little larger ? ... the guy at the lfs told me they would fight and eventually one would kill the other.
any thoughts?

nminunni

I am in the process right now. I bought another one from the lfs from the same tank as my original I bought last week. As I was walking out, however, I learned these were not the same group that was in the tank last week.
Wish me luck

jeanheckle

The one in your tank is female. You can not add a larger one. You need to get a fish that is already in a tank with a larger one, that will give you the best chance of it being a male. When you add the second perc the female will still attack him but it will only last for a short time until she establishes her dominance.

r1v2c

my lfs took back the clown i had and replaced it with a pair it had (I had to pay for the other one obviously) ...

Originally Posted by jeanheckle
http:///forum/post/2790708
The one in your tank is female. You can not add a larger one. You need to get a fish that is already in a tank with a larger one, that will give you the best chance of it being a male. When you add the second perc the female will still attack him but it will only last for a short time until she establishes her dominance.
im going through this same thing and wondering why you say that the one in the tank IS female. i know the larger of the 2 will become female, but will they also bc female if left alone for a long time? even if its a small clown? i inherited a tank that had a pair in it. the bigger clown, the female, died shortly before i got the tank. so the smaller male has been alone now for about 2 years. so today i went to the lfs and bought a larger clown. assuming it will take the role of the female.
but im also switching the tank they will be in. so they will be introduced to each other in a tank that will be new to both of them.