Adding a Lot More Volume to System...

windlasher

OK, so current system volume is just over 500 gallons. I am going to add a 400-gallon tank to the system. Obviously almost doubling the water volume is almost equivalent to a 50% water change.
What would be the best way to add the new tank to the system without stressing everything out?
I was thinking of filling the new tank with new water and then swapping about 50 gallons per day over the course of a week while keeping a big canister and pumps on the new tank to keep things circulating.
Any Ideas?
Thanks
-Vincent

woody189

Originally Posted by windlasher
http:///forum/post/3064665
OK, so current system volume is just over 500 gallons. I am going to add a 400-gallon tank to the system. Obviously almost doubling the water volume is almost equivalent to a 50% water change.
What would be the best way to add the new tank to the system without stressing everything out?
I was thinking of filling the new tank with new water and then swapping about 50 gallons per day over the course of a week while keeping a big canister and pumps on the new tank to keep things circulating.
Any Ideas?
Thanks
-Vincent
I don't think it's gonna be as big of deal as you think. Just make sure the SG and Temp are exactly the same.
A 50% is a lot, but ppl do it. granted it's usully in emergency situations, but I don't think it'll hurt anything.
You could get a 2 small equal GPH powerheads and connect the tanks to eachother. Slowly swapping the water back and forth. Of course the ph's won't be 100% equal, so you'd have to keep an eye on it, but that should work fine.
I think a week is overkill. When we acclimate a fish from the LFS, we take a few hours, if that. These fish/ corals are going to be in the exact same temp/SG, in the same enviorment. Not too much to stress them out in my opinion.
That's just how I see it. There may be dangers I'm unaware of, so hopefully someone else will help.
i'd love to see pics of your tanks.