Adding a Maroon Clown Fish

gordostank

Currently I have 2 Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish and would like to add a Maroon Clown fish. Preferably a small one. I have a 75 Gallon tank with plenty of live rock for hiding. I have a Blue tang, yellow tang, flaming angel. Can I add a maroon clown fish?

gemmy

I would not add a maroon clownfish to the fish you currently have. Maroons are extremely aggressive and it will most likely bully the ocellaris to death. Maroons are known for dictating what can go into the tank from fish to corals to even your hands.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordosTank http:///forum/thread/383300/adding-a-maroon-clown-fish#post_3351286
Currently I have 2 Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish and would like to add a Maroon Clown fish. Preferably a small one. I have a 75 Gallon tank with plenty of live rock for hiding. I have a Blue tang, yellow tang, flaming angel. Can I add a maroon clown fish?
Firstly, WELCOME TO THE SITE :)
Different species of clownfish do not work out together in smaller tanks, especially when one of the speices is a Maroon. Maroon clowns are some of the most aggressive fish out there, believe it or not. If you only add one, it will become a female, and the females are the worst as far as aggression. The maroon would kill the Ocellaris over time, it doesn't matter how much rock work you have.
As for the tangs:
A Blue Hippo tang really does not belong in a 75G tank, and a Yellow Tang is pushing it. Tangs are open water swimmers and need a lot of swimming room (nothing less than a 6' long tank). Please consider trading in the blue tang for something more suitable.

gordostank

Thank you for your responses.
I have had this tank set up with the same species of fish minus the black and white clown fish. However I have had a blue tang and a yellow tang. I got them when they were small. What is the downside of having them in the tank? They seem peaceful with each other.
The Clown fish spend most of their time chasing each others back fin.
Richard

btldreef

The downside is the lack of swimming room that a 75G tank presents for most tangs, especially a Blue hippo. IMO, a blue hippo really needs 100 or more gallons and a 6' long tank, especially once it is full grown. While they are smaller, a smaller tank will work, but not for long. A person just commented about this in another thread, basically:
If you owned a cheetah, even if it was the kindest one in the world, it doesn't belong in a home. A blue tang doesn't belong in a small tank. If that makes any sense...