Adding a Refugium/Sump TO Existing Setup

chrisnym

Hello. I have been in the hobby for 3+ years. I set up my 75 Gallon tank with an Eheim 2227 wet/dry, Remro Pro Skimmer, 15w Aqua U.V., 75+ Lbs. of Live Rock. I have entertained the thought of adding a sump/refuguim to my existing set up. I have been doing some general research and have possibly decided on using a rubber maid tub. I just wanted to know if anyone has DIY plans to create this. If any one has a similar set up, I am curious as to what overflow (my tank is not drilled) you use? what flow rate? pump? etc. I appreciate any feed back or help. Thanks.

oceanjumper

Hi, here is an old drawing picture of my DIY design with some of the values you were asking for. In the meanwhile I redesigned the sump so it has a separate chamber for the fuge return, and separte chamber for the return pump and a separate chamber for the skimmer. I still use the same Excaliber but modified it from a hang-on to a in-sump placement. The return pump has also been replaced by a MAG 7. The "real" pictures shows how I still have it.

flux

I made a hang over back overflow for my tank out of acrylic and in all honesty if I had to do it again I think I would just buy it. It cost around $55 to make ($10acrilic $15Glue $10bulkhead $10tubing $5J-tube $5PVC). They are on the auction site for $65ish. The extra $10+shipping for a nice one and not having to worry about it seems worth it. I would recommend 2 bulk heads in place of 1. I like the reassurance of knowing it will keep running even if 1 clogs for some reason. I also hooked the J-tube up to a Venturi so it’s self priming (nice little extra). Although it was a nice small beginner DIY project to learn on.