Adding bulkhead to rubbermaid stock tank?

foxthorn

I want to add a bulkhead for a 2inch PVC pipe into a rubbermaid stock tank (trough). It is one of the 100 gallon tanks and I want the bulkhead up high so it can overflow into a lower and smaller tank.
My question is: These stock tanks are oval in shape and I'd like to add the bulkhead to one of the short (curved) ends. Has anyone added one at this location before? Is the curve gradual enough that the bulkhead still seals well?
THANKS!

dreeves

Try it and use aquarium sealant when you do to be sure. If it doesn't work...patch the hole with a piece of acrylic with the same sealant between the acrylic and trough...drill a hole in the acrylic and a pilot hole in a small piece of wood, like a 1x3x4. Then use a stainless screw from the inside out..seal the screw head too.
I did this on my small 32 gallon RUbbermaid sump...I put the pump too high in the sump...so I patched that hole and cut another...no leaks.

toddpolish

I used a hole-saw drill bit to cut my Steriline sump. (Tested out on the lid - worked fine, so moved...)
When I put the bulkhead on it, I realized that there was a curve in the area I put the hole in - but it didn't matter. It worked without leaks.
for the size sump I was going for...I preferred the Steriline over the Rubbermaid. It just seemed more sturdy. I dunno...

foxthorn

Thanks for the ideas guys.
I'd still like to hear if someone out there has actually done this on this type of rubbermaid container before... and if it leaked or not. I'd really rather not have to patch the hole if it doesn't.... plus I've got limited space where I'm putting this so if I may have to switch sizes of tank if putting the bulkhead on the short end won't work.

toddpolish

IMO, I'm sure it would work fine. my pic doesn't show the bulkheand but look on the top of the container you can see the curve. I doubt the rubbermaid has a bigger curve than this.
how does it look when you put the (fatter end of the) bulkhead up against the spot where you want to put it? how flat is it?

foxthorn

Hey Todd... Yes, I see now in your picture there is quite a curvature there. However your container is much thiner and more flexible thant the rubbermaid troughs.
Unfortunately, I don't have the rubbermaid yet - I didn't buy it yet since I realized I'd have to put the bulkhead on the curved end in order for it to fit in the space I have.

richard rendos

I have drilled the exact tub you have, but in the flat part. I don't think you will ever get a tight seal in the curved part. The material is way to rigid. You could try it, and silicone the $h!t out of it.

broomer5

foxthorn
Single And Double PVC Bulkhead Fittings
These loose fittings feature an expanding Flourel (similiar to DuPonts Viton®) grommet which allows for location on most curved surfaces. Installation instructions are as follows: use a standard hole saw that fits any 1/4in electric drill motor to cut the proper size hole in the fiberglass tank. A 2-1/8in hole is required for the 1/2in, 3/4in, and 1in threaded fittings. A 3-1/4in hole is required for the 1-1/4in, 1-1/2in, and 2in bulkhead fittings. If ordering an installed fitting. please specify in the comment section of the order form where you would like the fitting to be installed.
Catalog Page Number: P-74
Manufacturer: Design Tanks
bulkheads
Maybe look into using one of these.
I've never used one - but looks interesting.

foxthorn

Thanks Broomer! .... They are a little pricey at $21.54 but looks like they will work. Am I right in thinking if I get the "2 Inch Single Thread Loose PVC Bulkhead Fitting" I'll be able to attach a 2" pipe on either end?
The other thing to consider is that I'll be using this fitting as an overflow to another tank.... Thus, it's not in a pressure situation. Hmmm.... maybe a regular bulkhead would work? :rolleyes: :D Decisions, decisions....

rane

I need to redo my sump and was wondering if toddpolish or anyone else can provide me with pics of theirs, I am thinking about rubbermade tanks and what not so can some of you guys give me an Idea my new skimmer doesnt fit well in my current sump and dont want to spend $600 for a custom made one...all pics will be greatly apreciative...by the way the new skimmer is the Euro-Reef 8-1 big F****R
Thanks

foxthorn

Rane....
Use the search button and search for sump in titles only and you'll find all kinds of pictures. If you have more specific questions after that - start a new thread where you might get a more targeted reply to your question. Good luck.