adding color to FOWLR display

moraym

Here's an issue i know several of us have grappled with over the years of keeping aggressives. I'm trying to find more ways to add color to my tank without using living items (corals, anemones, feathers). In the past I have been a fan of the Takashi Amano school of freshwater plant tanks, essentially tanks that look striking with or without fish, so as the fish compliment the tank's natural beauty, not the other way around. And so I find myself searching for a way to make the FOWLR tank beautiful in itself, even with only a few (inactive at that) fish.
The obvious method is purchasing the highest quality LR with the most coralline algae in purple hues, although this can be expensive, and oftentimes I am unable to hand select the rock I work with.
Another method I have seen to varying degrees is the use of bleached coral, placed in strategically planned places, this flash of white can add a nice presence to the tank, even though I am usually against this practice.
So what are other people doing to add color and presence to a tank with essentially just a pile of rocks in it. I have not been happy with my aggressive tank's appearance in some time, and want to establish a tank that looks good, with or without livestock (my aggressive tank has fairly colorless fish, many brackish converts which are gray/green in appearance).
Is there such a thing as decent-looking fake fauna?
Has anyone used live plants in an aggressive tank with success?
What chemicals are people using to spawn excessive coralline growth?
I've been in the fish-keeping business for too many years, and it's time to take the next step and establish an aggressive show tank that doesnt require flashy fish and flashy colors to inspire awe in others. Thanks in advance for suggestions and listening to my "old" man ramble.

liontamer

Take a look into the Japs. Those guys can put together a crazy good display, no prob. Id say go with fake corals and place them strategically around the tank. Go on ---- and look for stuff like that, they have alot of colorful/dead corals there. Just, u might have to clean em often...

moraym

I have looked to other sources, specifically setting up freshwater tanks that even Takashi Amano would be proud to call his own (well, maybe not quite THAT good).
Thanks for the input, although I'm still avoiding that fake look that even high-quality fake corals would give me.