Adding French Angelfish to Butterfly Tank

richl

I have a juvenile French Angelfish that's between 2-3" currently in a 20 gal QT shared with a tiny Green Chromis for company. He's adorable and behaves like a little puppy dog. He is very social and eats out of my hand. My question is I'm a little concerned that his future tank mates are a lot larger that he is.and I fear they may harrass him. I have two Heniochus Butterflies that 'own the tank' and are at least twice his size. They are a little aggressive with one another even though they were introduced to the tank together over two years ago. There's also a Klien's Butterfly that is a speed demon around the tank. I have tried to add a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty on separate occassions and neither survived very long (6 months & 2 months), though I never observed harrassment, so I decided to try the French.since they grow larger and are supposed to eb very hardy. Should I not be concerned or should I keep the French in the QT until he gets bigger? My set-up is a 125 FOWLR and I think there will be hiding spots, but I don't want him to be harrassed. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

S

saxman

A 125 is actually too small for a french angel...they get pretty huge and are big swimmers. I see an upgrade in your future.

aquaknight

Not that this would change anything since they are basically the same fish, but are you sure you actually have a French angel, and not a Gray (sometimes called Black) angel? I usually ask this question because as juveniles Frenches/Grays are hard to tell apart. And because French's usually command a higher price, sometimes Grays-being-mislabeled-and-sold-as-Frenches, happens.
The French definitely should out-grow that 125gal eventually, they are among the largest of all angelfish. The size difference of the angel, from the Heni's is actually a positive and I wouldn't wait to add the French any longer then the standard QT regimen. If the angel was larger, he would appear to be more of a threat to the Heni's and therefore likely to receive more aggression from them. Being smaller (or significantly larger as well) usually helps with successful introductions.