Adding live rock a little at a time?? How??

Hey quick question- I am in my 4th week of cycling a new tank- I need more LR- do I need to purchase CURED LR - I am afraid that uncured will make it go into a cycle again??? I am confused- I have no fish yet- so it is pretty safe to make additions, I think?? Can ya'll please give me some advice. Rock is really expensive so I am sure many people have had a similar situation.
Thanks ya'll (no doubt I live in Texas!!)
TG:D

slick

Well if you don't have any livestock in your tank I would add all your rock at once. You could go with uncured or cured dosen't really matter at this point.

I should prolly be more specific- here is the situation: I bought 26 lbs already and it is about 4 weeks old- now I need somemore so should I buy cured LR or uncured LR?? I don't want to mess anything up- too badly.

gregzbobo

Its my understanding that all live rock needs to be cured once it reaches your home anyway, pre-cured or not. Especially if it was shipped recently. It may have done SOME curing at the lfs, but if they move alot of rock each week, it probably did not cure very much. And no, adding uncured rock to your tank should not be a problem, as long as you don't have any delicate or semi-delicate life in there. It may not kill damsels if you have any in there, but would definitely stress if not kill most any other fish I would think. I would add that if there isn't any livestock in the tank, to get the uncured rock. It has ALOT more diversity of critters and organisms on it than cured rock does. Plus uncured is usually a bit cheaper.

ron-j

I've set up a 10gallon tank with a powerhead to cure live rock before I add it to my tank (I have fish already). It's easy to do so in the future, after you do get fish, if you want to add new lr or want to replace some you have I'd recommend setting up a small "curing tank" like mine.