Adding Live Rock to active tank

truperc

I am planning to add some more live rock to my tank, but I have some concerns.
First, the tank already has a decent amount in it, so I do not want to kill anything.
Second, I will probably be shifting some of the rock already in place which is buried partly by the sand. Concerns of a nasty release when i disturb it.
Last, what is the best way to do this consider 1 and 2, or am I going down a fools path.
I at the least think I will need to either purchase cured rock, and/or cure it in a separate tank.

meowzer

I would put the new LR in a tote with fresh sw a heater and a powerhead..test the water for ammonia....if it is cured you probably only need to do this for a day or two...if it is not cured you will want to do this longer, doing large w/c's in the tote until the ammonia goes down and you are sure the die-off is gone
This is only my opinion, and there are a lot of people with other opinions...so you have to do what you think is the right way

nycbob

if the rocks r cured, u r good to just add it to the tank. its very possible u will hv ammmonia spike if u disturb the rocks that r sitting at the bottom. it really depends how many rocks u r moving, and ur system. i hv moved my rocks and added cured rocks to the tank many times without incident.

nordy

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3058278
base rocks r good, since they r a lot cheaper. but wont get the rock shapes one wants.
Agree on base rock-the selection depends on what your lfs might have in stock. My lfs has a really good selection of base rock so I have gone that way the last few times I have added rock to my aquarium.

truperc

I will definitely add slow when I add rock.
After the many threads I have read, my mantra has become "slow and steady wins the race"
As always, your input is much appreciated

richl

I definitely vote for slow. I take about 4 weeks to add new LR. It's possible that parasites can come in on LR or anything else that's wet, so I quarantine 4 weeks. I keep it in 5 gal buckets w fresh salt water, a heater and air stones. I brush off the rock every 4-5 days and change the water. I throw a little fish food in once a week to keep the bacteria alive. I test the water very week or so and the ammonia and nitrites are always zero within 2-3 weeks. Hope this helps

sepulatian

Parasites can come in on rock, just so you know. A friend of mine about wiped his tank out from velvet that came in on new rock. Keep it in a bin for a month with a power head ... I know it sounds like it is a rare chance, but it does happen.
I just read RichL's post. He is dead on.