adding live rock

rtoycrow

Well i have begun to start my 240 gallon and will be purchasing items along the way as i get money. I am going to be buying probably about 250 lbs of live rock pretty soon and i was wondering do i need to wait until i get sand before i add the live rock to the tank for cycling purposes or could i go ahead and put the live rock in and start letting it cycle and add the sand at a later date. Plus for my information why does the live rock need to be on the glass bottom instead of adding the sand first and then the live rock on top of the sand? Also i am going to be buying 4 250 watt metal halide retro kits with 14000k bulbs. Do i need to have the lights before i buy the live rock or could i start the cycle process with just plain floresents (sp). I know you don't need light to cycle the tank but i don't want to kill any hitch hikers that i may get. Thanks

mr. limpid

you can add rock first or sand it dosn't matter. Only thing to keep in mind that you will get ammonia spike after add the rock or sand, from die off. The reason you put rock on the bottom is that if anything digs into the sand can not go under the rock and get crushed. As for the lighting of the live rock correct live rock dosn't need lighting, its the living organism on the rock. The die off depends on the length of time they have gone without the proper lighting. hope i was some help.

brettd

Originally Posted by rtoycrow
http:///forum/post/2929670
Well i have begun to start my 240 gallon and will be purchasing items along the way as i get money. I am going to be buying probably about 250 lbs of live rock pretty soon and i was wondering do i need to wait until i get sand before i add the live rock to the tank for cycling purposes or could i go ahead and put the live rock in and start letting it cycle and add the sand at a later date. Plus for my information why does the live rock need to be on the glass bottom instead of adding the sand first and then the live rock on top of the sand? Also i am going to be buying 4 250 watt metal halide retro kits with 14000k bulbs. Do i need to have the lights before i buy the live rock or could i start the cycle process with just plain floresents (sp). I know you don't need light to cycle the tank but i don't want to kill any hitch hikers that i may get. Thanks

Sounds like you're going to have a pretty good sized aquarium when you're finished. I have a 180 myself. I know this is an unsolicited suggestion, but I can't help but share the probably best thing I ever did for my reef tank. I purchased all my rock and cured it myself in my son's kiddie pool. (Edited for board policy) When it comes in to the airport in CA, they send it the same day to you via your local airport. The rock is just amazing - as are the prices. There will be all kinds of live critters on the rock, you just wouldn't believe. I was even able to salvage a live urchin. The good rock and a good RO/DI system you will be styling. Good luck!

spanko

Hey Brett, just a note. The SWF board doesn't allow posting of competitors sites. I suggest you edit out the one in your post.

brettd

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2929757
Hey Brett, just a note. The SWF board doesn't allow posting of competitors sites. I suggest you edit out the one in your post.
Thanks for the heads up...I know the policy and I completely understand and agree with it. I really didn't think of them as a competitor
as all they sell is live rock.