Adding Livestock - Success Timelines

truperc

I am interested when people breathe a moderate sigh of relief that there new addition has been added successfully to their tank.
I am excluding all of the extranous variables that can cut the lifespan of our livestock short and asking about "if it survives for # months, then it made it past the initial acclimation period"
As one example, I have read the mandarin dragonet can take many months before it starves to death, so only after a year of survival can you consider your fish a success.
I am interested on what timelines people use for their:
Fish
Inverts - clams, starfish
Corals

florida joe

In my opining there is no time line. All we can do is hope we have provided the live stock we introduce into our tanks with the best chance they have at survival. I don't think the hobbyist can ever say they are out completely secure that what inhabits our tanks will have an extended life span

noah's nemo

I'm going on 2 and half years now,with no loss of any livestock,other than being eaten by my evil CBS(he ate my pepps and my cleaner)....I probably put the kibosh on now

truperc

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3181878
In my opining there is no time line. All we can do is hope we have provided the live stock we introduce into our tanks with the best chance they have at survival. I don't think the hobbyist can ever say they are out completely secure that what inhabits our tanks will have an extended life span
I agree, but I also think there is a period, we could call it initial acclimation.
That once you surpass, you would consider the livestock successfully acclimated.
Then any death would be more tank related.
For example, when do you rule out a death due to a difficult transport from ocean to tank.

florida joe

well if we go by the definition of acclamation (adaptation to a new climate a new temperature or altitude or environment) one as to ask do the fish we attempt to keep really get acclimated or do they just strive to survive. BTW my friend a very interesting and thought provoking thread. Hopefully others will get involved

xcali1985

I would say 72hrs maybe for fish. However, for corals and anemones, wouldn't it be months. As they can slowly die from lack of light and other essentials. I have an anemone for over 6 months now and it still is thriving. Just recently put it under T5 but I worried about it the entire time it was under PCs./

reefkprz

I go about 6 weeks on fish, and I consider them out of the woods (excluding fish I have to wean to frozen from live)
corals about a week then its tank related
sea stars 4 weeks (it can take that long for osmotic shock to show)
other inverts about a week or less, generally if they live over 48 hours they dont die untill something bad happens