Adding LR to an already cuycled tank, how?

king_neptune

Ok the future tank is cycled,it has fish, some LR, things are great. Now suppose I want to add more LR, how much at a time can I feasibly add before I cause another cycle?

king_neptune

yes, but there will be die off during shipping. that's a given.
I know Ill have to re-cure it after it ships. But is it still a bad idea to keep slowly adding rock? or can I just do it in 50lb inter volts till i get all i want?

V

vinnyraptor

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/2964346
Ok the future tank is cycled,it has fish, some LR, things are great. Now suppose I want to add more LR, how much at a time can I feasibly add before I cause another cycle?
safest way is fill a container ( new garbage can/tote) with saltwater. add a heater and a powerhead and let it cure in there for awhile. then once its ready you can add all of it to the DT.

kas2247

I did this a few months ago and actually bought uncured live rock. It was beautiful but had tons of dieoff. I let it cure for about 2 weeks in a separate tub and changed the water maybe twice throughout that time (to help with the stench). I don't think it was completely finished curing, but I added all 50lbs to my 55gal at once and only had a tiny ammonia spike. Didn't lose a thing and within maybe 2 days everything was back to normal. So if yours is completely cured first, I'd think adding all of it at once wouldn't be a problem at all.