Adding LS/LR to established CC tank

lorab

Hey all!
Just needed some info...
I have an established tank with 6 fish about 1" in size each. The tank has CC and decorator rocks. I am going to order LR and LS ASAP.

I will be taking the CC and rocks out to put in the LS/LR. Can I leave the fish in there? Or do I have to take them out - if out, how long do they have to stay out?

S

sinner's girl

This is what I did. I cleaned an area of cc very well during a wc, then removed that part of the cc. You'll have to move your decortive stuff around and clean under there and remove that cc. be careful you don't stire crap up when you move the stuff around. You must clean the cc before removing it or you'll stir up crap.
use only cured lr.
I have removed all of a my cc, 2-3 nets at a time during weekly water changes (I increased wc to remove more cc). I'll add the sand when I move the tank, so my stars will be out of the tank. I won't add my stars back in till the tank clears and it's back to temp and I've tested the water. And add a cup or so of ls to help seed the sand, plus my lr will help seed the sand.
I didn't want to risk a cycle by doing it all at once, impossible to really clean a tank full of cc in one water change and I wanted it gone before the move.

lorab

Sounds good... thanks!
So, i can leave the fish if I take out the CC slowly - minimizing the chance of a cycle. I am ordering the LR off SWF.com - also the LS... but what is the real difference between the LS offered under "Live Sand" and the packaged LS offered under "Dry goods"???