Adding new fish

Romerom34

I have a 120 gallon fish/reef tank. It has been set up for about 6 years. Currently have 2 false purcula clowns, 1 banner cardinal, 1 six line wrasse, 1 flame angle, cleaner crew and plenty of coral. I want to add some new fish but I am unsure what I can add. I would like to add a blue hippo tang, a yellow wrasse and a mccosker's flasher wrasse. Would they be ok?

jay0705

I would stay away from the hippo. The wrasse you should be fine. If your looking for a large fish maybe a fox face or yellow tang. Foxes are reef safe w caution they say. Very docile fish tho

Romerom34

Thank you so much. I was just wanting to add the hippo to have some blue color in thet tank. May add the wrasse and try to find another blue color fish that would work.

Romerom34

No I had not but sure will look into that one. Pretty fish! Would I still be ok with adding that one and the 2 wrasse?

iidylii

Not trying to thread jack but no point in starting a new one lol sorry :)

I too wanted to add multiple wrasses...I was thinking about the cleaner wrasse and the mccoskers flasher...also in the future I wanted a male lyretail Anthias but to me they are very similar in how they are flashy colors? If this sounds questionable I guess I will just go with the mccoskers and find some other options...i dont know I just love those 3 fish that's all ;)

bang guy

I'm not sure how well a single Lyretail will do. They are normally in small groups.

If you buy female Lyretails you will soon have a male when the dominant female changes gender.

lmforbis

I think you can have multiple flasher wrasses. I have a McKoskers. He's very pretty but they are jumpers. I have a full hood so he can't jump out but he does spend a lot of time in the overflow.

jay0705

Cleaner wrasse can be tricky to keep if not eating prepared foods. You can keep a group of fairy wrasse w say 1 male and 2-3 females

iidylii

That's ok I cancelled my cleaner wrasse order...I don't need a fish that is gonna be a problem fish and then end up killing it...after reading several articles I'm not gonna chance the cleaner :(:)

I will be looking for some more reef safe wrasse options to go with a mccoskers wrasse though...without the option being "buy 3 mccoskers"
;)
Just have to see if there are any I can add at a later date then the mccoskers

jay0705

I have seen cleaners gobble up frozen, but I would never just order one hoping for it. Only if I actually see it would I consider buying one

bang guy

Cleaner Wrasse will usually eat anything offered but will die of malnutrition if they don't get access to an adequate supply of fish slime. To get enough slime they need some large fish as tank mates and Tangs don't count since they have almost no slime. Large Angels, Groupers, etc. Ironically, such a small fish should only be kept in VERY large tanks due to the need for large companion fish.

iidylii

thanks guys that's what I was reading is that eventually malnutrition will overtake them...seeing as how I only have a 93 cube tank I will of course not be housing anything actually LARGE enough to keep the cleaner satisfied and alive...and like I said I did cancel my order so no worries ;)

lmforbis

I would guess tank size. 120 are either 4' or 5' long depending on brand. Otherwise I think they are easy fish with proper QT prior to addition. They do grow really fast.