Adding to Hospital Tank

sprieto

How many fish to you add to a hospital tank at a time?
More specific:
60 gallon hospital tank being treated for ick (whether it be medication, or hypo treatment, but it's medication for now until I can afford a refractometer in a few weeks), currently with a Porc Puffer and a Perc Clown (both small, the clown is a little bigger, around 3"). there is a gramma to but it will be removed.
I want to move a small lion and trigger (the trigger being bigger, also around 3"), who I suspect might also be infected (currently in another tank).
Any rule of thumb on the subject?
Any opinions?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you have ich, you need to treat ALL FISH exposed to ich. With a 60 gal QT, you should be able to treat a good many fish...as long as they don't start fighting. How many fish do you want to treat?
Also, keep in mind that a copper isn't cheap and neither are the test kits.

sprieto

I don't think they will fight. I want to treat a total of 4 fish.
2 or already in quarintine, and I want to move over another two?
What is the time frame to move fish to quarintine?
Basically I didn't want to move to many fish at once.
At first I thought only 2 fish got infected, but now I worry about the other two and want to move them to the hospital tank as well.
If the tank is medicated, can you still move fish into it (via drip method of course)?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
They are all infested. Ich is highly contagious and the parasite will eventually infest all fish unless you treat all fish.
Move all the fish over to the QT. Why are you hesitating? Is there a reason? Is the QT uncycled?

jsb

Hey Beth,
What if you only have one fish getting it? Should you still treat all the fish. I have this one that keeps getting it from time to time, but the others don't seem to get it.