Additives

dmax

Should I add any supplements to my 100gal?
I have some zoas, mushrooms, and a green brain.
The mushrooms seem to be doing great. But the zoas are not multiplying like I see in everyone elses pics.
Any advice would help.
Thanks

bang guy

Do not add supplements for anything you don't test for.
You could just replace more water during water changes to see if that solves the problem.
Testing water parameters is the best way to diagnose water problems.

dmax

Should I add that phytoplankton?
Or feed the zoas at all?
Im just curious why the others are doing good and some are not?
I purchased a reef master test kit last night. Didnt get around to testing yet.
I read another post similar to mine and they told him to look for predators. I will have to check tonight.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by DMAX
http:///forum/post/2839091
Im just curious why the others are doing good and some are not?
Different corals have different "skill" levels.
For example, almost anyone can keep zoas, while millies will elude many.
I agree w/ Bang. Never add what you don't test for, and if you have phyto eating crals, then they will eat when you clean the glass with a mag float.

fau8

I have been told that the iodine is one of the base components of the soft tissue of zoos and other soft corals. I do test for iodine and after a 15% water change the levels are fine, but by mid week there is none present, so I dose to keep it up. My tank is heavily stocked with zoos and mushrooms. I however think the main cause for your slow growth is inadiquate lighting.

bang guy

Originally Posted by fau8
http:///forum/post/2840236
I have been told that the iodine is one of the base components of the soft tissue of zoos and other soft corals. I do test for iodine and after a 15% water change the levels are fine, but by mid week there is none present, so I dose to keep it up. My tank is heavily stocked with zoos and mushrooms. I however think the main cause for slow growth is inadiquate lighting.
The corals you listed have no biologic requirement for Iodine. There is nothing wrong with maintaining natural levels though. If you've been dosing a long time I would not recommend stopping suddenly or it is possibe you could damage your corals.
The problem with dosing Iodine is that it can be very harmful with only a light increase from NSW levels and testing is difficult. It can make life harsh for Zooxanthellae and most crustaceans. With corals it can make them more colorful as the Zooxanthellae population decline. But a sudden withholding of Iodine can cause Zooxanthellae population in coral to increase suddenly in coral tissue and can damage corals. It's like giving a human heroine for a year or so. They are much more colorful and seem healthy until you take it away.