adhesive

langcjl

If I was going to use a glass aquarium for a sump/refugium, what type of materials and adhesives would be best or easiest to make baffles. If I use glass do I just use silicone caulk? Can I use acrylic sheets and if so what adhesive would be best? Thanks.

D

daniel411

For basic baffles and such, whether you use glass or acrylic, silicone will work. Just be cautious on which kind of silicone you use. If you want to use acrylic and do a professional looking/sturdy job, you can always try acrylic welding compounds.

arjayl

If use use all acrylic....Weld-On #3 and #16 would be what you would use. Weld-On doesn't actually sell to the public but they can give you the number of a local distributer and/or send you sample bottles.
Sounds like you want to put acrylic inside a glass tank. Just get some Aquarium silicone and use that. Should work just fine
:D

mpls man

Go to home depot and get som MARINE GOOP, i just built a box out of acrilic and used marine goop to seal it, works GREAT!, made it this afternoon and was dry within 6 hours.:yes:

J

jfdjason

Would not trust Marine Goop. Give it about 6 months....it will start to leak.

mpls man

i guess i haven't had any problems since i did my plumbing on my 75 over a yr ago, may want to try the weld on glue then.

mikegray

i just used weldon 3..... for the seal.. but was gonna use silicone also but i found out it doesnt work.. is that was #16 is? to put in the inside corner? or is that the same thing as 3.. i need something to put on inside seals to double wammy so i make sure its water tight.

acrylic51

The WeldOn 3 is plenty strong as long as glued properly.....Water test it for a couple days if possible.....Silicone will not hold or will give you a false sense of security if using it to double up......WeldOn 16 is used to fill small gaps or imperfections in the cuts.....You shouldn't have any problem using WeldOn 16 over top of 3 to "give you the piece of mind you want". Trust me it won't break at the seam it'll break elsewhwere if it breaks!!!!!