adult bamboo shark

krj-1168

Hmmm ... From the looks of the shark - I would guesstimate about 30-36" long.
Which makes me wonder exactly what size tank you have him in ?

turbo21

krj,
he was about 36" long in a 240, he jumped out a little while ago, before i could find him a better home
i believed we talked about him on another board

ophiura

I believe the "he jumped out before I could find him a better home" explains it...and I think everyone who has juveniles should think long and hard about it...

mike22cha

Originally Posted by ophiura
I believe the "he jumped out before I could find him a better home" explains it...and I think everyone who has juveniles should think long and hard about it...
Yes most people don't know how big their sharks will reach which is truely a shame. It is also a shame that Bamboos are so easy to get but other better candiates for aquariums around 240g-300g like coral catsharks or marbled catsharks. And it is also a shame that sharks are more prefered over rays because rays don't grow nearly as fast as sharks, which would give them a longer time in an aquarium from 125g to 180g(which is a more common tank size). My 2 cents.

turbo21

I actually took this shark in from another swf member, and had plans to build him a new tank, i had a few things happen in my life after i took him, and money became a real issue. i tried for 2 months to find him a new home, i only had one person that would take him (monterey bay aquarium) but my shipping costs would have been astronomical, and him jumping out was devastating.
Their should be a ban or a at least a license to house most sharks. Within the next 10 years i forsee a ban on shark collecting except for public aquaria. Look what happened with the leopards. i too often see sharks for sale in almost every lfs in the area, i have watched them sell bamboo egg cases to people with a 55 gal tank. I know the fascination for these creatures is what draws most people to buy them, but please leave them to the professionals, there are very few people who have the resources to house them correctly. I know i am guilty of housing him in a tank that was too small, and i did have a plan for a bigger tank, but as we all know plans fall through, and i am sorry the shark is the one who suffered.
bob

krj-1168

Their should be a ban or a at least a license to house most sharks. Within the next 10 years i forsee a ban on shark collecting except for public aquaria. Look what happened with the leopards. i too often see sharks for sale in almost every lfs in the area, i have watched them sell bamboo egg cases to people with a 55 gal tank. I know the fascination for these creatures is what draws most people to buy them, but please leave them to the professionals, there are very few people who have the resources to house them correctly. I know i am guilty of housing him in a tank that was too small, and i did have a plan for a bigger tank, but as we all know plans fall through, and i am sorry the shark is the one who suffered.
bob
I Have to disagree-.
While certain species should be restricted (i.e Nurse, Lemon,& Whitetip Reef). And yes - large scale collecting of sharks may slow down in the next 10 years. At present - However there is already private aquarists that are successfully breeding Bamboos, Eppies,Coral Cats & even Horn Sharks in private owned shark ponds. So it's very likely that we'll see Captive Breed sharks available - in the near future.
But instead of banning or requiring special license to keep a shark. It's much better & smarter to correctly educate potential buyers on the requirements needed to care for their new pet shark. After all - if keeping of sharks is restricted - then what's next .. Rays, ... Eels, ... Lions, ... Puffers. Where would it end at. After all a bamboo shark is easier to care for & keep than a large Green Moray, and they're not venomous like the Lion fish is.
Education is the key here ... not just restricting it, because it's fairly difficult to keep.
That's actually the beauty of the online Aquatic forums - people can learn about keeping fish before attempting to keep them theirselves.

howardj

Originally Posted by rainmkr07
I want a great white shark.
How big of a tank would I need for him?

Mine is doing fine is my 12 Gallon nano.
When he can't turn around anymore, I'll try and find him a new home.
Sorry, couldn't resist!

t316

Good post KRJ....you have some points that applies to most anything in the "animal/wildlife keeping" world. It's a tough decision.

krj-1168

When it comes to keeping - animals. Certain animals don't belong in the hands of private individuals - unless they are professional trained in keeping & raising that type of animal.
Those animals that only belong in professional hands are species which represent a real danger to inexperienced handlers or to the public at large (if they gets out). But in most cases these animals tend to be restricted - as they should be.
But only a few species of sharks or rays that are available to the private individual could easily fall into this catagory. Most of the sharks & rays available to private aquarists are basically harmless under most conditions.
I for one would hardly consider - a bamboo or horn shark as dangerous as say a small exotic cat, or small crocodilian (like a caiman).

turbo21

Krj,
i will agree with your points on educating people, but we all have experiences with lfs who don't care, we have to remeber they are there to make money and that is the bottom line. i can say that out of the dozens of stores in my area 2 would be considered caring enough of educating the customer, rather than making the sale, as far as restrictions, the ones that are in place are to protect people, not the animals. unless we can re-educate the thousands of lfs the cycle will never stop, this is just my opinion and there is no ill will towards you, i wish we coud send you on a mission to help teach the lfs what is right. you have given good info on sharks to the people on the boards, than i have heard from lfs's in the 9 years i have kept saltwater
bob

krj-1168

Yeah - I agree that only a small percentage of LFS - actually care about the fish. Most are in it for the money. But the same thing is true of most Pet shops in general.
And in truth - most pet shops, or fish shops don't feel it their responsibility to educate their customers. Which in a way - they right. Although - IMPO, they should lead by example. But it's up to the customers to self educate them selves.
Potental Shark & ray keepers - this day in time have some advantages of those from just 10-15 years ago. 10-15 years ago - there wasn't any online forums like this to help them out, plus very few magazine articles, and no books on the subject of keeping sharks/rays in home aquaria. Today - the potental future shark/ray keeper as a dozens of sources to help educate them. Which includes the experiences of several keepers that had to learn about keeping sharks/rays the hard way.

ryno_mn

Perhaps instead of special licensing for the buyer, maybe there should be special licensing for those who sell them. Heck, there is special licensing and insurance for anything you want to do nowadays. Maybe by making your lfs pay for an additional license would make them think if it was really worth it or not. Those who pay, would more than likely be the ones to care about the animal. Just my 2 cents