Advice needed for Mappa Puffer

DAZEUPONME

Hello we recently moved our fish from a 150 to a 210. Unfortunately my husband kept the puffer alone in a fish keeper box way too long IMO. I then demanded he place the mappa into the 30 gal container with the other fish as it had water movement, etc. Well we did our best to keep the caves and looks close to the old tank but the puffer seems to be hiding. My main concern is he is not eating and breathing appears to be labored. I know in my heart he is stressed but hubby thinks he may be constipated? I have never heard of this nor how he came up with that. I would just like some sound advice of what I can do to ease his stress or what to look out for and even a great site to learn more about them. I have tried searching the web wo success for the most part. Thank you for reading and look forward to any help.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It is stressed. How long was he in the fish container? And then moved to a 30 gal what and for how long?

Is he now in the 210?

DAZEUPONME

It is stressed. How long was he in the fish container? And then moved to a 30 gal what and for how long?

Is he now in the 210?
He was in a 150, then we purchased a 210. While I was sleeping my husband moved all items out of the 150 and then started tinkering with the 210. When a woke up I asked why the puffer was in the fish keeper? Hours passed and I basically had to threaten him to place the puffer in the container (30) gal w the other fish because he is taking way too long. I was NOT happy with how this went down. I am assuming the fish were kept in this scenario for 8 hours? Again never got a straight answer from him. All items from the 150 were moved into the 210. It could have been handled better but like I said my husband decided to do this while I was sleeping :/
Now all fish are fine and happy except for puffer :( All water tests are the same as when in the 150 but I did notice the Yellow tang was being a PITA to him last night. This change over happened on Sat.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If he has labored breathing there could be a problem. The fish would have been oxygen deprived and the water likely would have gone south. Generally, marine animals should not be kept in a container wo pumps for more than a few mins. Have you noticed gill reddening, swollen, mucus? Is the fish still able to balance and swim?

Also, just to let you know, pufferfish should never be removed from water. As you likely know, they have the ability to blow themselves up which typically occurs during stressful times. If that occurs out of water, rather than taking in water they take in air and the result can be deadly.

DAZEUPONME

If he has labored breathing there could be a problem. The fish would have been oxygen deprived and the water likely would have gone south. Generally, marine animals should not be kept in a container wo pumps for more than a few mins. Have you noticed gill reddening, swollen, mucus? Is the fish still able to balance and swim?

Also, just to let you know, pufferfish should never be removed from water. As you likely know, they have the ability to blow themselves up which typically occurs during stressful times. If that occurs out of water, rather than taking in water they take in air and the result can be deadly.
Yes thankfully I am aware of the water/air thing and I have informed my spouse as well. He is in a cave so hard to see his gills but no mucus. When he was swimming last night all looked good except him breathing faster than normal. To me it reminded me of lack of oxygen. I will show this thread to my husband as maybe he will understand the gravity of his actions. Well all I can do now is wait and see. I appreciate your input as it means a lot!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
At this point the fish should be getting all the o2 he needs. Gilling is a sign of stress and or disease. We are going to assume its stress from the confinement and eventually he will come out of it. Just keep an eye out on him at this point. You may want to try using a turkey baster to dangle some meaty food at him if he doesn't start eating by tomorrow or next day. However, don't add to stress by "nagging" at him.