Advice on a 16 g BF

whaa...?

I need some advice as i want to start a 16 gallon bow front tank. Can i get some pic's of systems and such, and equipment ill need. im pretty rusty at this stuff... :help: hmm also it may be 10 gallons bigger not entirly sure.

alohami

If it's 20" wide it's a 16 gallon which is what I have. Here is my setup:
BakPak Protein Skimmer
Fluval 204 Cannister Filter
2 Aquaclear 10's Powerheads
20" SunPod 150w Metal Halide Light Fixture with Moonlights
Approx. 25lbs Live Rock
Approx. 20 lbs Live Sand
I do want to upgrade my powerheads to the Maxi-jet, I don't feel like I have enough flow with the Aquaclears. Also, I have my heater in my Bak-Pak so it's one less thing to have in the tank.
I'm not happy with my aquascaping right now, but due to remodeling the tank was recently moved to a temporary location, so I didn't really try too hard. Not a very good picture, but gives you some ideas at least.
Fishmamma also has an awesome looking 16 bow you should check out. Hopefully she'll post a pic, or just do a search.

fishmamma

Aloha, your tank looks soooo good!!!

Here is a pic of mine almost one year into it, I started off with a HOT bio-wheel filter, standard hood lights, and 25 pounds of live rock etc.....over the last year I have upraded the lighting for a Reef tank, added an Aqua C Remora HOT skimmer, some powerheads and atleast 15 pounds of live rock.

whaa...?

ooo beautiful tanks, so i dont have to have a sump? because im not quite sure how i would set that up if i needed it. can anyone elaborate.

fishmamma

No sump on any of my tanks so I can not assist you with how to set one up, wish I could help. :notsure:

alohami

Thanks for the compliment Fishmamma. I will be much happier with it when I get my rock rearranged and add some color! I also need to take my skimmer apart. After I moved it I must not have something together just right because I am getting a million tiny air bubbles from the intake tube. Anyway...
My opinion is a sump is always nice to have but not an absolute requirement to get started. Advantages of a sump is it increases your overall water volume and you can hide your equipment, but then you get into needing an overflow and return pump which is still a little beyond me yet. You can always add one later once you get things going.
My tank is going on a year old now with just the equipment I listed and normal maintenance including water changes. I have had no problems keeping my parameters correct so it definately can be done with basic equipment.
However, I definately would recommend using a good skimmer. I have been pretty satisfied with my BakPak, but the Aqua C Remora is as good or better.

fishmamma

Originally Posted by AlohaMI
However, I definately would recommend using a good skimmer. I have been pretty satisfied with my BakPak, but the Aqua C Remora is as good or better.
So I started that new tank.
I was thinking of getting the BakPak2R+ (new one made for reef tanks???) instead of the Aqua C. BakPak gets good reviews and it runs slightly less, though not much. Have you been happy with yours bubbles aside? New model write-up:
CPR is proud to introduce the hang-on skimmer that all reefkeepers have been waiting for, the Cyclone BAK-PAK™ 2R+. This new skimmer is designed for use on reef tanks where biological filtration is not necessary, but still incorporates all of the other features that have made the BAK-PAK™ line of skimmers so popular.
New "Tri Chamber" design of the BAK-PAK™ 2R+ takes the place of the biological section, and when combined with a new and improved outlet design, provides an effective way to reduce bubbles caused by system imbalances.
Incorporates CPR's proven high performance rejuvenation protein skimmer.
No need to purchase an overflow or return pump, the BAK-PAK™ 2R+ simply hangs on the back of your tank.
Use on tanks utilizing the Berlin or Jaubert Method, where supplemental biological filtration is not desired.
Easy to setup, easy to use, easy to clean.
For tanks up to 60 gallons. For larger tanks use an additional BAK-PAK™.
The BAK-PAK™ 2R+ can also make use of the accessories available for the BAK-PAK™ 2 (with the exception of the BPBT).
For non-reef tanks, please check out our BAK-PAK™ 2.
CYHO2R Body Size: 7.5" wide, 3" deep, 17" height
I also painted the new tank blue for a change, I like the bright color it adds to the tank. Any more thoughts Waa?? The bow front does make for a nice looking tank. My only suggestion would be to go up to the 26 gallon or what ever it is if you have the space and the budget.

fishmamma

I should add that the equipment cost for going one size larger is nominal, it would be the tank/stand cost (and live rock) that would make a difference. Most of the equipment I have is rated for up to 50+ gallons, Aloha porbably has the same. (I originally bought the 16 when pregnant with my son, I wanted to do a tank in his room for the white noise and for me to enjoy watching when nursing him. The 16 was great for fresh, but once I converted it to salt I wished I had gone a bit bigger.) :joy:

chipmaker

I have two of them, and personally am not crazy about any bowfront tanks, especially the smaller ones, as it leads to too much distortion for my likeing as well as the extra depth is not what I need, but for ther price I got them for I could not go wrong.....Hoods are a pain due to shape, so unless you get a custom made hood things can get hodge podge looking in a hurry......Both of ours are AGA tanks, custom hoods, with a coralife quadbulb 96watt 50/50 and also 2, 32watt PC and 2 lunar lights. HOB AC110's, Maxijet 600 PH, 75 watt Ebo Jager heaters, and coralife Super skimmers (model 65) One has approximately 26 pounds LR the other a bit over 30# 1 inch nominal sand bed depth........They are a good tank, but the distortion bothers me as just looking at the items attached inside the tank looks like they are always placed cockeyed. An AC 110/500 and CSS 65 will fit across the back if you just file the corner radius of the tanks top frame trim square.....
I have since taken down the other 16 AGA BF to drill the back glass so I can run a sump and clear out most everything that attaches inside the tank.....Its currently back up and cycling with LR / LS for about 2 weeks now......I used my old live rock and sand in my new 110 gal setup. I sitll prefer numerous smaller tanks to the larger ones tough, but just not a small bowfront type.

alohami

Originally Posted by fishmamma
So I started that new tank.
I was thinking of getting the BakPak2R+ (new one made for reef tanks???) instead of the Aqua C. BakPak gets good reviews and it runs slightly less, though not much. Have you been happy with yours bubbles aside?

Actually, I have the BakPak2R. I removed the bio-bale because after researching I was concerned it would be a nitrate trap. Instead I put my heater in that chamber. One less thing cluttering up my tank.
The bubbles are not the fault of the skimmer. After I moved my tank, I must not have gotten the powerhead back in tight. The bubbles are coming from where the powerhead goes into the intake tube. Its still skimming really well, and I just haven't taken the time to fiddle with it. It normally doesn't put any bubbles back into the tank.
Overall, I have been quite happy with my BakPak and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I am a "famous auction site" junkie, and got a good deal on it so that's why I chose the BakPak. You will just want to make sure it comes with the Maxi-jet 1200 powerhead and not the Rio800. I have heard a lot of rave reviews about the Aqua C Remora, but it usually does cost more and the BakPak does a fine job for me.
There is also a knock-off verison of the BakPak called "Pro-Pack" which usually goes for around $60-$70. It looks identical, and as long as you have a good powerhead running it, I don't see why it wouldn't be as good as the BakPak.
Good choice with the blue background! I usually prefer the blue personally, just because it looks brighter to me.
On the tank size, I probably would have gone a little larger myself also given the opportunity. Mine was a Christmas gift last year, and although larger would be nice I can fill this one up with coral quicker. My equipment also is rated for a larger tank also, but it does a great job on this tank and I can always use it on a bit larger one down the road.

fishmamma

Chipmaker- I enjoy numerous small tanks too, just wish the maintenece wasn't so great. I occasionally notice the distortion, but I usually park myself on an overturned 5 gallon bucket and stare straight on so maybe I get less at that position. Your tanks look great!!
Do you mind sharing your livestock lists? :joy:
Aloha- I though the BakPak 2R didn't have the bio chamber......maybe they recently eliminated that?
Thanks for the tip on the knock off, I will certainly do a search for it. I have so much $$$ invested in equipment already, I hate to blow the budget on this tank too.

alohami

Ok, upon further research I have the BakPak2 with the bio-bale removed. The 2R version appears to have an extra divider. The BakPak2 has two dividers which makes 3 chambers, and the BakPak2R appears to have 3 dividers and 4 chambers. The other difference I see is on the 2R there is a long tube attached to the outflow, so it draws the water from the bottom of the skimmer on the outflow where on mine there is no tube and the water just flows out from the top.
I'm guessing there is the "extra" chamber in the middle of the BakPak2R as a sort of bubble baffle since there is no filter media. However, I have not had this issue on my BakPak2 even with the media removed. Another thing to consider is if you go with the 2R it doesn't look like there is enough room to put the heater in any of the chambers.
The Pro-Pack brand is identical to my BakPak2, so you may not want to go with that if you decide you definately want the 2R.
If you go to my favorite auction site and do a search you can see all three models and decide from there. Make sure you put a space in "Bak Pak" or it won't find them. It's kind of hard to explain the differences in the models, but if you look closely at the pictures it will make more sense.

whaa...?

Thanks for the help guys(maybe gals fishmamma a girl?) but my budget increased so im gonna get a bigger tank (55-75g).

alohami

Fishmamma and I both happen to be girls, but we're still just one of the guys around here.

That's great that you can go bigger. You won't regret it. My nano is cool, but I definately want to set up another larger tank eventually.
Just another suggestion, if you can swing it I would go with the 75. I believe a 55 is only 12" from front to back and I've heard a lot of people complain that it can be challenging to aquascape because it is so narrow. I'm not sure what the dimensions are on a 75, but just another point to consider.
Good luck!