Advice on dipsticks

harlequinnut

I'm thinking of getting those dipstick tests for saltwater to test for nitrates and nitrites, etc. Does anyone have any experience with these and can you tell me if they are accurate or not or maybe I shouldn't waste my money with those dipstick and get the test kits.
Thank you.

S

sinner's girl

make sure you don't dip the stick into the tank. get a cup and put tank water in it, put the stick in the water. use a different sample of water for each test. (that is, don't put different sticks in the same cup, with the same water).
I've never had a problem with them.

fshhub

based upon yrs of professional use, I completely dislike test strips for water testing
they are way too easy to corrupt, and if they get moist or touched as well as drying or light AND shaking(you need to be steady or they can bleed) where they are stored(light also affects drops if it is intense like the direct sun), it can and will affect teh reading. I have never personally used them for tanks, but instead swimming pools, spas and drinking water(all the above, comercial residential and servicing). And all my observed results were teh same. they are not as accurate or reliable or fail safe as a good test kit

bek

I had a boss that was a "total" DIPSTICK and thats why "I" don't work there any more !!!"I" :D