Advice on used RO unit

dankoos

Thinking of picking this up for $75...good deal? Seller says its 6 mos old and original cost was $250. Does this have all the filtration I need?

saltn00b

used RO doesnt really make Sense IMO
90% of the value is in the filters, and they are used , probably longer then being claimed. you can ask what the TDS meter reads if you want...
but this one thing that makes sense to buy new ...

aquaknight

Just from looking at the image, the DI resin (far left canister) looks spent. Typically almost all color-change DI resin I've seen, starts a darker green color, and turns that brown-gold color when exhausted. And the sediment prefilter (far right) looks oddly colored. They start white, and hence their name sediment filter, blocks dirt/clay/etc, so they almost all turn an orange/tan muddy color. Not sure why that one's green...
At this point in time I would order all three pre-filters (1 micron sediment, and 2 carbon), and new DI, they sell either a whole canister or loose resin you can pack yourself. And test the TDS reading on the RO membrane. Measure incoming TDS to the unit, and then TDS coming out of the RO membrane (before the DI stage). Look for a rejection rate of at least 90%. Meaning if you have an incoming TDS of 300, your RO out should not be higher then 30.
As for costs, yea typically the price of a new unit vs the costs of a used unit + new filters is negligible. You paid $75, new DI is $15-20, and all three prefilters will be about $30-$45. If you have to get a new RO membrane, it's about $45. These are online prices, LFS's will be more expensive. So I guess in the end you'll save some money.

scsinet

Okay well I can tell you that this is the air-water-ice Typhoon III system that they sell for $149.95, and they have for at least 6 months because I bought one of those units from them around that time, for that price.
The membrane is almost certainly fine, but you are looking at a whole new set of filters... 2 sediment, one DI, and one carbon....
You're looking at spending close to $150 by the time you buy the unit then get all the crap to get it going again.
Personally, I'd just buy a new one or offer him more like $50. Even then you won't be saving much.

dankoos

Thanks!!! Will pass on this offer. Don't need it presently anyway...buying pieces and parts as I have time and money.