Advise on cycling?

Pegasus416

Hello all. I just joined this forum as I am restarting my FOWLR 75 gallon. I set up my tank 8 years ago as a birthday present for my wife. I had great results with it but let it go to hell within a year of my wife passing away 3 months after I set it up for her. My last clown recently died and I decided to start over again. And here's where I made my major screw-up, leaving my brain in the closet. I dragged a garden hose into the house and kept repeatedly cleaning the live sand and crushed coral base until it was clean. I cleaned my canister filter, but of course (duh) filled it with fresh water. Then I mixed up a salt solution but only had enough to bring the tank to 1.008 where it sat for a week. By the time I got more salt and brought it up to normal salinity, I fear I most likely killed off all the good bacteria in the base and live rock. I don't know what I was thinking. :( In any event, I realized I have to cycle it again so it's in-progress. Finally getting an ammonia spike, but no sign of nitrites yet. So here's my questions. First of all, should I run my protein skimmer to catch some of the dead bacteria and other proteins? I am getting some brown skimate. Secondly, should I feed the tank in an effort to cycle it quicker? I appreciate any advise. I want to do it right this time. Thanks everyone! I'm so glad that I found this forum.

Kristin1234

Hey where did the other Pegasus go?

And yes. Ghost feed to help the cycle along.

And I agree with Jay. Crushed coral is so 5 years ago.

jay0705

The dead bacteria will just help the cycle. The dead is what feeds the good bacteria. Time is your friend be patient

beaslbob

balance out your tank with macro algae.
Use a molly acclimated to saltwater to cycle the tank.

Then do the rest.

my .02

Pegasus416

Hello all. I want to update on what's going on and to get some advice. in my original post I stated that after my last clown died after 9 years, I decided to get my badly neglected 75 gallon FOWLR aquarium back up and running. Unfortunately I didn't think it thru and made some serious errors. I ran a garden hose into the house and kept cleaning the base and LR until the water ran clear and let it sit with very little salt for about a week. A week later I filled it with 1.022 water and started the cycle again. After 6 weeks I was pretty happy with the chemistry, getting a good ammonia spike followed by 0 nitrites and nitrates. I've been doing weekly 25% water changes.

2 percula clowns were added and they are thriving, very energetic, and eating well. Water chemistry to this day is right on the money. Only thing out of the ordinary is I have been fighting diatoms, which I accept as new tank syndrome. I started adding additional fish, 2 royal grammas, a flame angel and a diamond goby. All died within a few days of adding to my tank. All were acclimated for about an hour before adding into the tank. The clowns continue to thrive well.

I'm at a loss on what's wrong, as well as my LFS that I have been dealing with for over 10 years. I have gone as far as checking for electrical current in the tank but read 0 milliamperes, so I know electrical leakage to not be the cause. The only thing I can think of is that something is dying off in the LR and/or base poisoning the fish.

Any ideas? Time to start over from scratch? I really would appreciate any guidance and suggestions. Thank you!

jay0705

The fish you added,are not hardy for a new tank. Basically that's what you have. You also added way to many at one time. The goby is a sand sifter,you have very little to no fauna in your sand bed to eat. Never add 2 grammas to a small tank. They will fight. A flame is a hard fish to keep even in a established tank.
Take time let the tank mature before adding more fish. General rule of thumb is a month between adding new fish. This works well with quarantine. Bc once the qt fish go in the dt. You can purchase and qt your new fish.

beaslbob

I think you basically kicked off a mini cycle which killed the new fish.

(not to mention the possible fights as well)

my .02

Pegasus416

Thank you all for your replies. I will give the tank a couple of more months to stabilize before adding additional fish. I guess I was a little worried about waiting too long with the two clowns becoming territorial. When I am ready, would you all mind if I came back for advice? I really want to avoid and further mistakes in my choices.

jay0705

They should be fine. Clowns really aren't too bad unless it's a small tank.
U can always ask questions