AGA and Hot Lighting

beth

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you know, I've been exploring the upgrading lighting question for my 72gal bow front aquarium made by allglass. It's just occurred to me that the the plasic strip in the center of the aquarium [which holds up the glass plates flanking each side of the aquarium] may actually melt under any other lighting above NO.
Anybody have AGA bow and use VHO, PC of MH lights? If so, do you use a 48" bulb for the expanse of the aquarium, or just shorter ones to go on either side? Also, I'm assuming the hotter lights can't be placed in strip light form on the glass cover?
[ April 29, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

Ive got a 46 gal AGA Bow front with 96 watt
PC lighting. After I first put it on (with glass top on tank) I did notice water temp increase but not to the point of melting. I did use 2 pieces of cut off pvc to raise my PC fixture and all seems well.

M

missycoral

High Beth your plastic piece should be removable you could do this then when you need to get into the tank for more than jsut feeding the front piece you could slide off then put back when done, it shouldnt be a pain for that matter. We ddi that then took glass top off all together to keep tank cooler. found it to cool tank 5 deg cooler. Missy

Originally posted by Missycoral:
<STRONG>High Beth your plastic piece should be removable you could do this then when you need to get into the tank for more than jsut feeding the front piece you could slide off then put back when done, it shouldnt be a pain for that matter. We ddi that then took glass top off all together to keep tank cooler. found it to cool tank 5 deg cooler. Missy</STRONG>
SO HOOOOOOLD ON YOU TAKE THE CENTER SUPPORT OUT OF YOUR TANK??????