Aggressive fish question

mal

I was wondering if there is an agressive fish I could put with a marine betta / comet, that won't eat it or harass it. He is a baby, about 3". Tank is 40g with DSB and LR and a CPR backpack. I have a 3 stripe damsel in with him that will be leaving when I decide on another fish. I'm from the reef board and don't know anything about agg. fish other than what I read. Thought I'd ask you all for insight.
[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: mal ]

in a 40g you can add a small niger trigger. the betta will outgrow the tank and you can probably add both to your reef if you have space. 40 is kindof limited. maybe a snowflake.

topfish

I wouldn't add a niger trigger or any trigger in a 40 gallon tank. In that size tank it will outgrow it easily, niger triggerfish get around 12 in. and that is big. Niger triggers or any other triggers should never be added to a reef. But I have seen LUCKY(notice how i've said lucky, because they would be extremely lucky to make that work) people that have got a niger trigger in a reef (like blue and fixit, and jacksonpt) but I would never do it, it's to risky. A baby may do that, but it shouldn't be added to a 40 gallon. Do you have any shrimp or crabs? If not, triggahappyqueen was right about the snowflake.You should get a small snowflake, they live in reefs pretty good, but it should be added with a little caution, because it may attack inverts. And these aggressive fish are messy eaters, and may make your levels not that great, which what your corals, and other reef suff need. What filtration do you have? When getting an aggressive fish, you need good filtration. Good Luck!

mal

I have a few snails and some blue leg hermits in the 40. In my reef I have peppermints and cleaner shrimp, emerald crab and blue legs and snails.
Would a small dwarf lion work out, like a zebra or a fuzzy? An arc eye or flame hawk would be cool, or maybe a box fish. Are any of those possible?