Aggressive Reef. - Who has um? - I do. - Pictures.

reefstar22

I've noticed there is a reef forum, and an aggressive forum. - But who here runs an aggressive reef?
I have one, and it works well. - I have corals. - Softies mostly. - I have a couple tangs. - lion fish/blue ribbon eel/cortez string ray. All of which are found in aggressive tanks. - I also have a few damsels which no one bothers, and a few gobies.
What are your views on aggressive reefs?
Here are a few pix
Please note for the ray, I have re-arranged my rocks for more space in the sand. - He loves to lay in it as much as he loves to swim.
- Today he even ate out of my hand! - Now THAT was sweet! :)

You need finer-grained sand in order to keep that ray happy and healthy long term. Coarse sand can abrade the soft underside of elasmobranchs and cause nasty infections.
Be careful and keep an eye on him.
Nice tank, btw.

angler man

What a stunning eel! What kind is it?
BTW, what kind of rock do you have? I haven't seen any that has that kind of curve to it. I'm doing a aggressive reef as well, so expect more questions from me in the future.

reefstar22

He is correct, it is a blue ribbon eel.
I'm not sure what kind of rock it is, the pet store will not tell me where its from.

However they may be able tot ship you some? - Sioux Falls, SD 57104 - Safari Petland. - Ask for Grant Anderson. - If you mention you spoke with Chris, he may give you a good deal.

U

usirchchris

Wow, I have always wanted a blue ribbon, but have always hesitated at the warnings. Restricted species hard to take care of etc. How has yours been? Any difficulties?

dina12

I also have an aggressive reef....It works well for me - here are a few pics - My Puff lives very happily with his crab and snail friends......the bottom picture is only 1/4 of the tank....in the last picture - my Puff is hiding behind the Xenia...you have to look really close.

reefjr12

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
I've noticed there is a reef forum, and an aggressive forum. - But who here runs an aggressive reef?
I have one, and it works well. - I have corals. - Softies mostly. - I have a couple tangs. - lion fish/blue ribbon eel/cortez string ray. All of which are found in aggressive tanks. - I also have a few damsels which no one bothers, and a few gobies.
What are your views on aggressive reefs?
Here are a few pix
Please note for the ray, I have re-arranged my rocks for more space in the sand. - He loves to lay in it as much as he loves to swim.
- Today he even ate out of my hand! - Now THAT was sweet! :)
What size tank? Beautiful eel, they have ahigh mortality rate though. How is yours doing?
Good Job.
-Kevin

stdreb27

Originally Posted by dina12
I also have an aggressive reef....It works well for me - here are a few pics - My Puff lives very happily with his crab and snail friends......the bottom picture is only 1/4 of the tank....in the last picture - my Puff is hiding behind the Xenia...you have to look really close.
Crazy, my puff found the one thing growing of the the rock in my tank, and destroyed it in about 5 minutes of being in the tank.

kjr_trig

Not sure which is more surprising the Blue Ribbon Eel still alive, or the Porky Puffer in the reef tank.

crimzy

I was going to leave this one alone but I have to be honest with you... while it may look cool to you, this is one of the most uneducated setups I have ever seen. You have taken large fish, with very specific requirements, and just tossed them into totally unsuitable environments.
Just so you are aware (and you've already been advised), you do not have appropriate aquascaping for a stingray. Not to mention that your xenias have stinging cells that will harm your ray. The ray has managed to survive for about 9 days or so and the eel has been there for probably 5 or 6 days. I can truly see how you've declared success with this combination.

Your tank does not work, it's worked for a matter of days, or even a week or two. You're just like so many others who try to experiment with unsuitable environments and then never post another pic after their experiments fail.
Nice job with the tank. I think you should get a clown trigger and a seahorse tomorrow.

sepulatian

I would not call anything under a year success with a blue ribbon or a ray. Rays are fine if kept in larger tanks with ample clear space to swim. Blue ribbons rarely survive in captivity.

dina12

Crimzy -
You may want to majorly edit your post.....these are 2 seperate tanks.....the reef with the puffer is mine....the first set of pictures belong to the OP.
My Puffer is by no way stressed out. He has lived in this reef tank for 2 years - Check my posts - way back, I was showing pictures of him.
What works for one person may not work for another - I choose to take that chance - it worked out well for me and my fish. Saying my tank in uneducated because I choose to go against the grain is just wrong.

crimzy

Originally Posted by dina12
Crimzy -
You may want to majorly edit your post.....these are 2 seperate tanks.....the reef with the puffer is mine....the first set of pictures belong to the OP.
My Puffer is by no way stressed out. He has lived in this reef tank for 2 years - Check my posts - way back, I was showing pictures of him.
What works for one person may not work for another - I choose to take that chance - it worked out well for me and my fish. Saying my tank in uneducated because I choose to go against the grain is just wrong.
You are correct. I thought that the puffer was in the OP's tank.

grabbitt

Wow... A puffer in a reef.
And he's right next to a snail and a hermit.
And they're both still alive?
If I tried that with my puffer, I'd be left with a bunch of dead corals and empty shells!