AHH! some type of crab, I think

hops523

So I went to go shut off the tank lights, and I was looking for my peppermint shrimp. I couldnt find it but in the place it usually hangs out I see this really creepy looking hitchhiker. From what I saw it is red and kind of orange, it seems to be some type of crab(I saw some claws). It scared me so bad, I personnally think it looks like a spider. Its kind of hairy and what not. Any ideas of what this is? I tried to take a pic, but it wont come out of the dark. I did shut off all the lights to see if it will come out, but no luck.

coral keeper

It sounds like a Purple Lobster, or a Porcelain Crab. If you do happen to see it, get your camera and use flash. You might kinda scare it but at least you'll get a nice picture.

hops523

I dont think it is a lobster, because it is kind of circular, and not long like a lobster. It was hiding in a shadow in a small cave like structure behide some rocks, so its really hard to make out what it is.
What do you mean by pointed claws?

digitydash

If the tips of the claws are pointy they are bad crabs.Corals , shrimp or small fish will be killed for a meal.

renogaw

Originally Posted by mscarpena
http:///forum/post/2604404
If it's hairy it's bad and I would kill it. They ate fish, knock over corals, and all sorts of bad stuff.
bad you!
put the crab in your sump! or mine... but don't just kill a crab because its a crab! :p