Aiptasia Confirmation, PLEASE

soupysteve

I'm going to take back the LR I just bought at the LFS - as soon as it is confirmed that is what I have! I'd hate to take back something THINKING it is Aiptasia - and it isn't...

dzones

yeah I am pretty sure that is what it is also. Although you could just kill it. I have gotten aiptasia on my lr more than once from different lfs. kinda sucks but it happens.

soupysteve

I wouldn't be upset if these things just "popped up" in my tank - but the LFS sold thes particular chunks of LR to me when I asked for some LR with some LIFE on it... The LFS will see Soupy's rage if they won't take it back or give a refund...

is that aiptasia? I have something that looks exactly like it. If it is aiptasia how do I get rid of it? There is only one, as of now, in my tank.

S

sebae0

its aptasia allright, doesn't mean the end of the world though.
do search a search on it and you"ll get some answers on how to rid it.

aarone

kill the

[hr]
. Dont take the rock back and let them feel "soupy's rage" Just find a simple way to kill it. Search the board for Killing aptasia with kalkwasser. You will find a good amount of info.
aaron

krishj39

Yeah, no reason to get upset at the LFS for this one. Aiptasia are very common hitchikers on LR. I'll let others tell you how to kill the aiptasia off.

bdhough

Aptaisia and i know for a fact that a couple peppermint shrimp will eat that one. Mine would at least....

lesleybird

Gee, I would think that you could just take the rock out of the tank and pour straight salt on the thing (not over the whole rock) and it would probably die from hyperosmolar shock just like a slug???? Lesley

the claw

I'd kill the thing and any others that pop up. I wouldn't hassle with taking it back to the store if you like the rock. Any live rock has the chance of that popping up on it. Or.....you can take it back and hope you get something better like maybe a mantis hitchhiker.

threex

i put a pic of my "problem" under the pictures postings "What is it" looks to be the same kinda thing. Doesnt seem to be causing any problems though, been in there for over a year.

sammystingray

You can kill it however you like, but to leave the rock will leave aiptasia in the tank 85% of the time.....I haven't seen any in about three years.....I just moved my tank and rocks got flipped and turned.....what do I find? They haven't been a big issue for me, and from my experience.....that goes for MOST aiptasia keepers....they CAN sting corals, but just like bubble algae, there are only a select few that have serious trouble with them. It isn't something you want though....your choice what to do.

soupysteve

There were three good sized aptasia "growths" (I guess that's what you'd call it) on the 6lbs of LR I had bought - they were the ONLY things growing on the rock (aside from microscopic things...). I took the LR back to the LFS, and he said "I figured you knew what it was. Florida aptasia rarely becomes a problem."
I gave the LR back to him and got store credit for the rock.
I will not be going back to this particular LFS - as it seems like EVERYONE on these message boards seems to think they are a problem. If this makes me a bad guy, oh well...:rolleyes: