aiptasia in reef aquarium

deannasueque

We have a 125 gal. saltwater aquarium. The aiptasia started in the overflow 1000's of them! within 6 months we had over a 1000 in the tank. Of course, everyone told us it was good filtration in the overflow and they will not get into the tank. Wrong! We tried all chemical products, shrimps and nothing. Finally, we searched the internet and found that a scat fish would eat them. Unfortunately the first week my blue surgeon was beating him up. I had to give my surgeon another home or the scat would die. So sad! After two weeks of the scat in our tank he starting eating the aiptasia's!! I do not have one aiptasia in my tank!! Awesome job! Would recommend to anyone, if all else fails!! He isn't the prettiest looking fish, but he's sweet and loves to eat algae too!! We have two clowns, angel, dragonet, hippo tang, dottyback and copperband shrimp, and a yellow goby. They all get along with the scat.

btldreef

Welcome to the site!
Who on Earth told you Aiptasia were good filtration?!?
What type of scat is it? Are you aware that Scat's usually do poorly long term in saltwater and really are more of a brackish water fish.
Glad that it worked for you.

flower

Hello and welcome to the site!
Tell us about your system, and we love pictures. Be prepared..LOL...we also love to tell you how to make your system better and help your fish live longer and happier....after all that's what sites like this are all about. Being informed about the skat for example, BTLDreef knows her stuff.

deannasueque

I know right? I purchase all my saltwater stuff from Northside Aquatics. They also have the razorback reef club. I thought it sounded crazy too! I know about the scat being a brackish water fish. He seems to be happy so far and its been over four months now. I always have the option to take him back to Northside Aquatics if he starts to decline. Not sure what kind he is, saltwater ready when we bought him. Looks like a round spotted trout! I will have to upload a picture. LOL. Thanks for the heads up!