Air Bubbles

ramone

Quick question, I am new to this hobby, I have a 40 gallon SeaClear SystemII aquarium that has been up and running for two months. I have 30lbs of LR and 30lbs of LS in it as well as 6 fish and a cleaning crew of 11. I also am running a protein skimmer. My question is; it it normal to have some air bubbles on the front of the aquarium? I mean about 3/4 of the way up on the acrilic. All of my water readings are good and I maintain a temp. of 78.5. Just wondering what might be causing this. This aquarium has a wet/dry filtration system using a pre filter, drip tray, bio balls and charcoal. Any thoughts?

kris walker

Hi Ramone,
Welcome to the board. You say the bubbles are 3/4 of the way up. If they form distinctive horizontal lines across the tank walls, then it sounds like the same bubbles I get when I add water to a new tank for the first time (in bucket loads). That is natural. If they do not form distinctive lines, I would check for the source of bubbles. Are they coming from your wet/dry filter? Protein skimmer? Just watch closely for several minutes and you might find the culprit. In either case, although it may appear unattractive, it probably will not hurt the fish or cleaner crew (unless part of the crew are starfishes, which I hear are sensitive to air).
cheers,
sam