Air in sump pump return

crooper

I recently replaced a dead sump pump with one that has 1" input/output. The piping that was originally installed was 3/4" rigid, with lots of 90 degree bends (I didn't build it, was like that when I got it). I read that you're supposed to try to keep the tubing the same as the pump, and use flex tubing to increase flow. So I refitted my plumbing with 1" pipes and flex tubing.
The problem when the pump is on full tilt with valves completely open, air bubbles form in the line going from the sump to the pump, and so i get a constant flow of air bubbles in my tank. If I partially close the valve above the pump to reduce flow, there aren't any bubbles, but then there isn't much flow. I'm not quite sure where the air is coming from, since the sump bulkhead is underwater and everything is sealed tight.
Was I wrong to change the piping to 1"? Do you have any suggestions on how I could improve this?
I *think* it's a QuietOne 4000 (it's been awhile since I bought it). It's mounted outside the tank, not submerged. When it's not pumping bubbles it's really quiet. :)

usinkit

It sounds like you have a leak that is drawing air in from the pump. When you shut the pump off do you see any leaking or wetness around the pump intake or suction? Do you have a picture of the setup?