air pump pushing water too fast.

miamishrip

I have a 125g tank with nothing but sand and saltwater in it... i have a 125 wet/dry filter and a 950gph pump - the problem is that the water being pushed back into the tank is moving faster than the water being flowed into the sump - causing the sump water to constantly be lower than the water line (therefore the pump is sucking in air and water causing massive amounts of bubbles in the tank) also the tank is FILLED to the brim. Do i need to buy a smaller pump? please help i cant wait to add LR !

nick76

Is there anyway U can turn down the flow of the pump. Most have different flow settings so u can turn the gph down or up until u find the balance.

f14peter

Couple o' things . . . installing a ball-valve between the pump and tank will allow you to throttle the flow down a bit.
Also, in my AGA tank w/overflow and MegaFlow sump changes in water level due to things like evaporation or adding/subracting larger things (like rock) are reflected in the sump, not the tank itself. Thus, I have to check the water level in the sump to determine if/when I need to add some water.
You didn't mention exactly how fast your sump was emptying (Although it sounds pretty fast), but remember it's not uncommon to lose a gallon or so a day to evaporation and if I don't add some water every two or three days, my sump level would soon be down below the pump's intake.
Ideally, a pump should return water to the tank, factoring in headloss, close to but not exceeding what your overflow can drain. Pumps lose pressure and have a lower GPH if they have to pump to a height (Like from a sump to the top of the tank) called "headloss" with "Head" being the height from pump to outlet. Most sites selling pumps, the pump manufacturer's site, as well as the operation manual included with pumps have flow-charts that show what the pump is putting out at a certain head. Calculating your "head" and checking the chart will show you what a particular pump is giving you.

miamishrip

the pump will be fine for about half a day - i'll fill the sump to the line and after i get home from work its just about too low. yet the water in tank is at the brim. i would like to lower the tank water level but this is just impossible and very frustrating - i think i may have to cough up some dough and buy a smaller pump.

dmc888

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20051201190712/www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_909119_32772-i.jpg
You just need one of these. That doesn't sound like it is that overpowered. Mine drained past the water line in a couple minutes till i adjusted my ball valve. Should be able to find it for about 10 bucks. Just screw it on with some teflon tape and turn the knob till your water line doesn't move and maybe a tad more incase of gunk build up that may slow the flow back down.

joncat24

Originally Posted by dmc888
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20051201190712/www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_909119_32772-i.jpg
You just need one of these. That doesn't sound like it is that overpowered. Mine drained past the water line in a couple minutes till i adjusted my ball valve. Should be able to find it for about 10 bucks. Just screw it on with some teflon tape and turn the knob till your water line doesn't move and maybe a tad more incase of gunk build up that may slow the flow back down.

DITTO that!!

fbm

Yes, agreed but I would adjust more than just enough to keep from overflowing your tank...If you are worried that you want more flow in the main tank just add some powerheads to your setup.

badoleross

I had a similar problem on my 220. I added the valve that has been suggested but I also ran a return line back to my sump so the pump runs a full pressure with the water going to the tank is adjustable. So it goes, sump pump return line to a "T", with 1 line going back to the sump and the other line fitted with the valve going to the tank.