algae all over glass...NEED HELP

reefboy1994

i have some weird algae. it is lime green and makes the water look cloudy untill you clean the glass...then it comes all back in an hour! my tank test perfectly and the ph is 8.4. i feed flakes twice a day and half a cube of shrimp once a day. please help. pics will be coming soon.

reefboy1994

i have no idea how to check phosphate levels. just to be safe, what would be causing them to be high if they were high

deejeff442

too much food .especially flake
it is high in phosphates.
once a day feeding is eneough
i would add a two little fish phosphate reactor.

silverdak

for algae on glass I am leaning towards it not being a phosphate problem... I just got my water tested for phosphates... none. yet still I have some on the bottom of my glass in from and on both sides. I personally dont have a phosphate issue.... only other thing could be lighting... which isnt that old. turbo snails and scarlet hermits help the most

briand7878

ive had mine running for a couple of years. i get it and have to clean the glass every day or two. i think its normal.

reefboy1994

I think i will try the phosphate reactor...how much do they cost and what is a good brand
my lighting is only 2 weeks old...i just got a new t5 fixture

i will reduce feeding to once a day, also: i feed my tang those algae sheets, how long do i leave the sheet in there till i take it out?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by reefboy1994
http:///forum/post/2911049
i have some weird algae. it is lime green and makes the water look cloudy untill you clean the glass...then it comes all back in an hour! my tank test perfectly and the ph is 8.4. i feed flakes twice a day and half a cube of shrimp once a day. please help. pics will be coming soon.
When you say your tank tests perfectly, but you have no idea how to check for phosphate, my immediate question is what are you testing and how? My second question is how much flake food are you feeding (not a particulary good type of food to use), on top of that you're feeding three times a day(flakes twice, half a cube of shrimp once) and algae sheets. Your profile doesn't show a sump or fuge. Your tank is a 110 with 4 fish and assorted inverts? Certainly not overstocked - but sounds like an aweful lot of food for not much livestock.

reefboy1994

when i feed the flakes i only put enough in there for the fish to eat in a minute or two. i really dont put a lot of flakes in at a time. I heard small, spread out feedings are the best, so thats what i do :)

Algae needs phosphates nitrates and light to live. Take one away and it will not thrive. Light won't work for your corals. I am currently battling algae. Even the smallest bit of phosphates is a deal. Get phos to 0 and low nitrate less than 10 ppm and the algae will slow down. Water sorce is important. Some water sorces add phos to tap water not to mention other s that are harmful to corals. RO water is the best option.

I just recently got done battling this algae as well. I decreased my photo period and I also switched my food to rod's. After the changes I made, everything cleared up nicely. I did have phosphates in my water, probably due to the fact that I use to feed everyday. Hope this info can help.

mr_x

in my opinion, if you put enough flakes in the tank and some are still floating around a minute or two later, it's way too much.
excessive nutrients is most likely the issue. waterchanges!

reefboy1994

i used to not have a heater, but after my dad telling me that the heat in our house gets low at night i added one. the heater has been on for a week and the temp is around 74 farenheit