Algae and the Light Cycle???

stingray

I have a 125 gallon fish-only setup that has been running well for about six months. Since the beginning, I've always had trouble with algae and lighting. I'm to the point where I only have one 48 in. 10,000k bulb running for only four hours a day. I've tried numerous different bulbs and light cycles, but if I leave the cycle on for more than four hours a day I get terrible algae buildup. Because I'm only using the one bulb my fish don't get their colors displayed as they should(and they aren't receiving the necessary light they need to thrive). I've had no major deaths yet, but this sucks very bad!! But to keep that algae down this is what I've to do to keep my tank looking nice. Also, I have a wet/dry and a protein skimmer. I change 25% of the water monthly and all water tests are always right on. Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is it green algae or brown? I had much the same problem then switched to VitaLight Aquatinic bulb. I still only keep the light on 6 hrs a day. I still get lots of green, which is fine. A cleanup of the glass once a week and a vacuum once a month is the routine. Fish Only tanks will generate lots of nutrients which causes the algae.
Test your water for nitrates and phosphates. If the the readings are moderate to high, then there is the cause of your algae. You can try feeding your fish less. Bottom line, though, is that if you are going to be doing FO mostly, you're going to have to be dealing with algae control fairly regularly.

the rock

the rock says...
what is going on here? only four hours a day? that is kinda cruel. it really does depend on what you are keeping in the tank, but i would definately suggest a "Keep it Clean" package from this site. Keep the lights on for eight hours instead and let the inverts do the work. i would also suggest a horseshoe crab to keep the substrate stirred to keep the algae from building up and looking nasty, or a sand sifting star, jawfish, or sleeper goby. the inverts will keep the substrate clean as well. and as for the glass that is simply part of this hobby, a little elbow grease by getting in there for one minute every few days to clean the glass and snails will help that task as well

smus

Hi I have the same problem I have a newly cycled 135 and seem to be getting alot of brown algae I have to wipe it down daily and the water has a brown tinge to it. I have already put copper in my FO tank as I was told to do by the LFS so inverts are out what else can be done. I have 5 damsels 1 wimplefish and 1 frogface and thats all that I have so far. My room is very bright although not direct light on the tank its pretty light all day and I have 2 48" artinic bulbs that go on by timer 7 hrs a day. Is there hope????

chessie

Hi,
I have a 110 gal. tank (set up for about a year)& also had a terrible time with brown (diatom) algae (on the glass & elsewhere). Had a 48" 20,000k (daylight) & 40w actinic originally. Now have 2 48" 40w actinic & 2 55w Perfecto power compacts(daylight). I have the actinics set to come on about 2hrs before the daylights & go off about 2 hrs after the daylights go off. Total light period is about 12 hrs. It's been about 3 months now & I'm not seeing anymore of the brown stuff. Someone had told me that w/stronger lighting & a longer light period, that the photosynthinsis (sp?) would be redirected to a more desirable algae - whew!! Am fairly new at all this & don't quite understand the whole concept but it seems to be working.Also, invested in a cleanup crew consisting of some hermits & snails & I'll tell ya, they REALLY earn their keep (got them thru ffexpess.com).Am planning to upgrade to stronger lighting soon. (If anybody can share some thoughts on that, it would be greatly appreciated) Good luck!!QUOTE]Originally posted by Stingray:
I have a 125 gallon fish-only setup that has been running well for about six months. Since the beginning, I've always had trouble with algae and lighting. I'm to the point where I only have one 48 in. 10,000k bulb running for only four hours a day. I've tried numerous different bulbs and light cycles, but if I leave the cycle on for more than four hours a day I get terrible algae buildup. Because I'm only using the one bulb my fish don't get their colors displayed as they should(and they aren't receiving the necessary light they need to thrive). I've had no major deaths yet, but this sucks very bad!! But to keep that algae down this is what I've to do to keep my tank looking nice. Also, I have a wet/dry and a protein skimmer. I change 25% of the water monthly and all water tests are always right on. Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

chessie

Hi,
It's me again. Need to clarify myself on the brown algae being completely gone. I still have a smattering but nowhere NEAR what I had before changing lights & lengthening the photo period. Have resigned myself to the fact that always having algae of some sort is just part of the deal of having a saltwater tank. Again, good luck!!UOTE]Originally posted by Stingray:

kris

I agree with beth-nitrates, phosphates, overcrowding, overfeeding, and poor water (like most tap) are the leading culprits. If you can't add the inverts yet, use the elbow grease. P.S. The brown algae is usually a new tank thing(diatoms) the green comes later and you will always have some. I don't think you should be sacrificing light to solve this problem.
[This message has been edited by Kris (edited 04-04-2000).]