Algae cleaning

I haven't seen too many threads on the topic of methods for cleaning the algae off the glass. I have been using a cheapo wal-mart magnet scrubber for the just forming stuff (and even then it barely works!) and once a week go over the front glass with a piece of the blue scrubber that I ripped off from one of the long handled brushes because I just couldn't get enough grunt down to the scruber pad..
Anyhow this has been sligtly aggravating, and even with 8 snails (2 margaritas, 6 tiger trochus, and a couple un-id'ed flat snails that clean algae like it was their lifework lol) it still is hard to stay on top of. Of course I think much of that may be due to my filter needing replaced (for top-off water).
More to the point, what methods do you guys use for cleaning your tank glass?

geoj

In my 25 gal, I use a Mag-Float 3 times a week for the front glass. Snails: 1 Margarita, 6 Trochus, 2 Nerites, and 2 Ceriths.
The Margarita, Trochus, Nerites mainly clean the glass first then start to work on the rocks.
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Phosphate read zero.

flower

I use a mag-float. I use it every time I notice any algae on my front glass…it works like an eraser and I swipe it maybe 3xs a day..it takes all of about 30 seconds. I am looking at the tank anyway.
I never need “grunt” work to swipe it. There is some coralline down on the very bottom at the sand line…I use a scrub pad when I do my water change to get any of that off.
I do a water change about once every 3 to 4 weeks…I remove my canopy, and wipe off any salt creep, clean the power heads, rearrange any coral I want moved, and clean a canister filter at that time as well.
I don’t clean the back and sides of my tank, I leave that algae for my fish to and inverts to graze on.
Also I have an all glass tank. Coralline algae loves plastic, if your tank is acrylic it bonds to that much harder than glass.

brewski4u1

for the tuff stuff go to home depot and get a 4inch razor blade scraper i have a 30 gallon and i can hit all 4 sides if i wanted to in less then 5 min ! and do use a razor on anything other then glass!

I may try out the mag-float. Does it have a strong magnetic bond? The one I got at wal-mart pulls apart super easy with little to no effort. My tank is glass so I could use a razor.. just afraid I may slip and hurt the fish or inverts with that method.

meowzer

Get a mag float for your size tank. The ones from Walmart stink...LOL...The ones for SW have a really rough side...BUT you have to buy the right one for your glass thickness....you can also get a scraper made for tanks too...they work on the hard stuff
This is a sw mag float..just remember they come for either acrylic or glass...and in different sizes for your tanks thickness
Attachment 234555
Here's a scraper kit
Attachment 234556

yeah I'll give the mag-float a try for sure then, I need to order some testing stuff soon anyways. Funny thing is.. the corraline algae on my tank comes off easier than the green algae growing on it!

meowzer

Originally Posted by racingtiger03
http:///forum/post/3172440
yeah I'll give the mag-float a try for sure then, I need to order some testing stuff soon anyways. Funny thing is.. the corraline algae on my tank comes off easier than the green algae growing on it
!
LOL..I agree with that for sure

glad I'm not the only one that gets to have all the fun! lol. Has anyone tried the magnet that flips over and has a scraper on it too? Seems like it would be good, but ya never know.. I'm not sure that it would be worth the extra cost either though.

I get to go buy a scraper this weekend.. the algae on the glass has decided to start growing instead of my macro-algae that I have set in various places in the tank. Looks like a fuge may be next on my list to put a stop to that -.-
My galecera(sp?) was growing great until I trimmed it.. next thing I knew algae was taking over my glass and the galecera stopped growing.
Anyone have a suggestion as to how to keep the macro-algae growing so that the regular stuff doesn't take over my glass? It took it about a month and a half to do so. But I was trying to let the corraline grow on the sides and back. I think not cleaning those sides off may have had a lot to do with it =/
What's the safest way to clean off a lot of algae on the glass without hurting the water quality or inhabitants?

truperc

IMO - The best way to clean glass. Has saved me so much time. I am not big on recommending specific products, but this one is just that good.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/367264/my-newest-reef-gadget-is-great

flower

Originally Posted by TruPerc http:///forum/post/3175776
IMO - The best way to clean glass. Has saved me so much time. I am not big on recommending specific products, but this one is just that good.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/367264/my-newest-reef-gadget-is-great

Thank you...
...I have to get me one for sure.

truperc

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3175817

Thank you...
...I have to get me one for sure.
Please, I should be thanking you and many others that have helped me along the way.
Hope you find it as useful as I do, although I am confident you will.

pdmxb2000

i use a mag float, and for the tough to get stuff, i just use an old gift card or credit card, youd be surprised on how good it gets the yuck off..its inexpensive and it works!

cranberry

Originally Posted by racingtiger03
http:///forum/post/3172440
yeah I'll give the mag-float a try for sure then, I need to order some testing stuff soon anyways. Funny thing is.. the corraline algae on my tank comes off easier than the green algae growing on it!
Are you talking about that bright green thin hard stuff?

Yeah, do you know of a good way to remove it? I'm just worried about their being so much that it will screw up the water quality.. I'm going to do it right before the water change and do a 20% change though. Do you think that will be ok?

I got it done over the weekend. I used a small razorblade to take care of the algae, perfect job and made super short work of it! Then I did a 30% water change afterwards. My tank seems super happy this morning. Nice and clean, and even my skimmer is working better! It's throwing out less micro-bubbles into the tank :).
I did notice a lot of activity from micro-organisms in the tank last night. Does algae have a planktonic stage? I noticed hundreds of small green things swimming near the substrate when I looked in last night, and my peppermint and coral banded were going to town on them! I thought it was copepods first, but the green color made me think otherwise...
I highly recommend the razor blade method to anyone! lol. Also I used my fishnet to catch large stray algae chunks. This morning my tank was spotless and sparkling! The best it's looked since I started it, and in fact is the best it has looked period because when it was new there was very little of anything in it! lol.