Algae eaters need opinion

jwagne267

So I finished cycling a tank and at the end of the cycle I got a bunch fo hair algae. There hasn't been much more hair algae since the original. I was going to go get a Lawnmower Blenny but when I went to the LFS the guy told me I should get a sea hare instead. So I got the sea hae, but he told me if it doesn't work I can brign it back for full refund, but if it does work when there is nothgin left I cfan brign it back for 75% refund, so it doesn't die basicly. Figured I can't lose anythign but my time here...
So has anyone used a sea hare to get rid of hair algae??
Do you think I should still get the lawnmower blenny? I like them, wouldn't really hurt to have one I don't think.

nycbob

sea hare will eat hair algae. but after its done, it will starve. hair algae normally dont grow so early in a tanks cycle. i would rather take the rocks out now and scrub it clean to prevent future problem.

mr_x

an algae blenny won't eat hair algae. i've never had experience with sea hares, but that sounds like a good deal.
i have a hard time believing someone can scrub every trace of algae off of a porous rock with a brush, but then again, i've never tried it. if you were to do that, an algae eater like a hare or blenny should keep it trimmed, if it starts to come back.
if you just got done cycling your tank, cover it with a blanket for a week or so. the algae will be gone. were you running lights during your cycle?

jwagne267

I was running the lights during the cycle...thats probably something I should have not done. I am not scrubbing the rocks, I want this problem solved by an animal that enojoys doing it, not by me who doesn't enjoy scrubbing. I will be taking the sea hare back after he gets done with the algae.
The blankett thing, I have 3 shrimp in their right now....will that mess with them, discolor them or something. Whats the shortest amiount of time I can leave the blanket on?

big

This may be the easiest.......... cutting you lighting WAY back for a week
or so. I will not hurt any corals you do have adversely. If prams are all in line cut the light for at least a week. Even doing this on a regular schedule is not a bad idea. ( like a two or three day storm reducing sun light on occasion in nature.
I had one spot of the stuff that slipped by me on a frag that I pulled and fought forever. About 2 months ago I broke a leg on my hood. Sooooooo I
keep my lights off or only on with the actinic (blues ones) for short periods for over a week to keep the heat to a minimum till the new one came.
Guess what no more green crap!!!! The much reduced lighting was the trick!!!. Now if I ever see a trace of it show up anywhere , back down goes the light for a few days and it magically is gone!!
We all had these outbreaks when we set up a new tank, don't worry too much.

meeks101

I don't know that much about them but I do know that the yellow eyed tang is one of the best cleaning rock fishes. My dad had one and they do a really good job!!!

jwagne267

I'm going to cut the lighting back for a 2-3 day storm haha. Then see what happens about it. I must say though. Just one night and that Sea hare has done a great job....almost unbelievable how good he has done...
THanks everyone