Algae good? or bad?

bkall4u

I am having a slight algae "outbreak" and I was wondering what kind of effect algae has on a tank? Are there certain types that are benefical? Or should I do my best to get rid of all of it?

bang guy

I like the looks of some macro algae in the tank. The stringy stuff is unsightly to me but it does remove excess nutrients from the water.

carrie1429

It all depends on what kind of algea. Some is good to have and some isn't, could you tell us what it looks like? Is it brown, green, ect?

bkall4u

The majority of it is a brown algae, and I'm assuming that is because I started the cycle with tap water :( shame on me. But there is also some green algae growing on the substrate.

clarkiiboi

If you are just getting started as your post said then the brown algea is most likely a diatom bloom, it happens with all new tanks reguardless of the water used. It will go away on its own. The green algea could be a few things, but from just starting your tank my question is are your lights on for long periods? I have mine on only 8hours a day. Just a thought.