Algae growth

k9-fish

I have what looks like grass growing on my live rock. I like the look of it because it looks healthy and natural. Sometimes though I am getting a light green film on the glass of the tank. I use the magnet and it will be gone for a week or two. It's a 55 gallon with a rather large dog-face puffer, lion, and a panther grouper. I like the look of the algae but want to make sure it's not harmful in any way other than me having to do water changes more often. I have 2 Emp. 400 running on the tank and a cpr back-pack skimmer. I would like to keep a fish that might eat some of it down, what would you suggest. I know you will probably say a yellow tang, any other suggestions?

sheracr123

The foxface I had ate algae. They are also strong enough to be with aggressive fish. But I hope you are planning on getting a bigger tank soon as a 55 is to small for those fish when full grown.

k9-fish

Not in the near future. I have had these guys for a long time, it's not like they grow like puppies. That's why I was asking this question, I really only want to keep two to three fish in this tank. My hermit crabs really don't seem to eat this algae. Anyboby else have a suggestion?

beaslbob

you can cut down on the green slime type algae by adding other plant life like macro algaes or marine plants. The idea is to get that plant life established and tak away the nutrients from the slime algaes.