Algae - Help

charliet

Hello,
We have a 45 gallon tank with 6 fish, LR & LS and many cleaning crew helpers. We have a Protien Skimmer and small biologocal filter.
We have read all of the past messages we could find on algae but we cannot seem to stop the growth. We have tried water changes more snails, hermits etc but algae all over the tank.
What other ideas should we consider- UV Steralization? More filtration? Any other remedy?
Thanks.
Tim & Charlie

elfdoctors

What type of algae?
If snails and hermits are not doing a good job, either you do not have enough cleaners or you are really dealing with an outbreak of cyanobacteria (red green slime algae).
I found that adding more algae predators made a big difference with the hair algae but then I got an outbreak of cyanobacteria. A reverse osmosis unit and increasing circulation seems to be getting that problem under control.

charliet

How do I know which type? It is a dark green slimy gook all over the tank especially the glass.
thanks

for mine i just dont turn my light on as much becasue it grows lots under light so only turn your light on for about 7 hours a day and then it wont grow as much and you crabs will clean it off

dacia

Using RO/DI water can also reduce the amount of algae that grows by starving them of the nitrates and phosphates that they need to survive.