algae in relation to cycle?

krypton74

Hi! We have a 35 HEX. Set up for 6 weeks with two damsels, 8 pounds live rock, live sand, 4 hermits, an arrow crab (who is a pain the butt - he ate our yellow tang, but that is another thread... - he's going back to the store) our ammonia is almost non-exisitent, nitrites were low, and nitrates were at 30. PH fine...
We have a fine coating of brown algae growing on the tank walls and on our rock. Is this normal? What stage of the "cycle" do yo think we are in, and is it safe to add fish at this point? we had a bout with ich already because we didn't have a QT tank, but i am convincing my husband to set one up. TIA!
Beck

birdy

For the cycle to be considered over Ammonia and Nitrite must be 0 and Nitrates stopped dropping (usually around 30ppm).
Your tank sounds like it is getting close but not quite, do you have any fish in the tank right now? If you do not, then be sure your tank has been free of fish for 4-6wks because you had a case of ich and it takes that long for the life cycle to die.
Not sure why you had a tang in your tank before it cycled but fish in the tank during the cycle is a bad idea.
Get a QT set it up and cycle it, add a fish, when it is done with QT then your tanks should be ready.
Edited to say: A yellow tang should never be put in a 35Hex, wayyy to small for them. and you may want to take those damsels out, or they may be the only fish you can have in your tank.

beaslbob

entirely normal. brown algae show up at first and consumes phosphates. and phosphates are consumed it slowly turns to green.
good idea after ich to run fishless for at least 3 weeks.
One final thought. I would add plant life or encourage the plant life such as the brown and green algae. by adding plant life you like you can control the uglies by starving them of nutrients. phosphates, ammonia and nitrate are nutrients for plant life which also consumes carbon dioxide. and in the process they also filter out all types of toxins and even heavy metals. So not only is plant life unavoidable, it is highly beneficial to the system.

krypton74

Thanks for the quick reply!
of course, the lfs said that we pushed the cycle (live rock and sand) and it would be ok with the tang in the tank. we are learning, but i guess not fast enough!
even if we bought the tang at 1-2 inches the 35 isn't big enough for the tang? total bummer! we may need a trade in!:thinking:

birdy

The problem is that even if you buy a 1-2 inch tang, that is not it's full grown size and contrary to popular belief fish do not grow to the size of the tank, they will keep growing and become stress out if the tank isn't big enough. When stocking your tank for fish, find out the maximum captive length of the fish and buy accordingly.
A 35 Hex is just not a great tank for fish, unless it is fish like clowns, most fish like horizontal space for swimming and a Hex doesn't give them that