Algae Issues

lefty

Hello everyone,
I've had my 20g long tank running for approaching two years now, and ever since its beginning, I've had algae problems. Since then, I have tried almost everything to get rid of it but nothing seems to fix the problem. I use RO/DI water, IO salt, use two powerheads, do not overfeed my two clownfish or two cleaner shrimp, have no trouble with nitrates or any other chemicals, replace my 50/50 actinic/10,000k bulb regularly, keep the lights on for 9 hours a day and have tried reducing the duration with no results, run carbon, and have tried using a phosphate sponge. Despite all my efforts, I end up having to painstakingly remove the algae myself only to watch it grow back again at full force days later. The stuff that grows is I believe slime algae, seen here:

I really want my tank to stay looking like this:

A skimmer isn't really an option since I will be in a dorm with this tank shortly. Can anyone help me with this algae? I don't know what else to try.

Thanks in advance! :happyfish
-lefty

dut

Why does going to a dorm mean you cant have a skimmer? If its about size there are several different skimmers some of which are not all that large. Skimmer, could help quite a bit with the algae issue as it will be less waste in the water broken down to nitrates. Additionally, cutting your lighting to around 8 hours would help. What is the reading when you test for nitrates and phosphates? Keep in mind that even if your test say you dont have any that might be hidden by the fact that the algae is absorbing it so quickly. Is there anykind of cleanup crew in there to help? Turbo snails are amazing eaters of algae, might do wonders.

teviesfish

I agree.. you really need a skimmer . One of the most importaint peices of equipment that there is out there. Your tanks will love you for it.

lefty

Dut,
I was under the impression that skimmers were noisy and I didn't think that would go over well for such a small room. I will cut down the light duration at your suggestion. I have two separate testkits and both test zero for nitrates, so I think you're probably right when you said the algae absorbs it quickly. I currently do not have a reading on my phosphates. I don't have anything else in my tank besides the two clowns and the two shrimp. I'll look into the turbo snails. =)
fishy,
I got my LR from this website and it is Fiji.
Thanks for your input, everyone! :joy:
-lefty

dut

Even some of the larger skimmers are somewhat quiet. The loudest part of mine is the sound of the water running back into the tank. I dont have one to suggest as the one I use is for a larger tank, but im sure theres one out there. Nice tank by the way and good luck with the algae.

aredmon

I would definitly get a clean up crew. Start with snails because they are great algae eaters. Also you may want to look at an emerald crab. They can be aggressive but I love mine. My rocks are beutiful due to this guy. He has eaten they start of hair algae and bubble algea and I never had an outbreak of any of those because he stopped it before it got to bad.

valgae

get a lawnmower blenny. they love hair algae and are fun to watch. definately get u some turbos they can gey ur rock cleaned up in no time!!!!