algae out of control

antwon

hello i knew i would encounter this problem eventually i have hair algae and it is starting to spread i have a cuc but they dont help and tried a sea slug and he was great except the next day my arrow crab ate him. is there any way to get rid of this algae that will actually work please help

antwon

um i dont have i phosphate tester but i will buy one idk if i overfeed my cuc usually eats all the extra food if my phosphate is too high how do i fix it?

meowzer

water changes and a change in maintenance
How often do you do water changes? What do you use for filtration? What lighting fo you have and how long do you run them for? How big is your tank and what exactly is in it? what type of food do you use?

geoj

Originally Posted by antwon
http:///forum/post/3290640
um i dont have i phosphate tester but i will buy one idk if i overfeed my cuc usually eats all the extra food if my phosphate is too high how do i fix it?

Don't put the phosphate in. So this means you will have to find out what you are adding that would have phosphate, carbon, fish food, cheep kalkwasser and other things.
Remove the phosphate by use of a phosphate sponge or reactor.
If it is not phosphate what about nitrate if it is high you will get good growth out of macro algae.
A Tang fish can help by eating most algae if you get the right type Tang.

caz2022

Definitely figure out where the phosphates are coming from and fix it. In the mean time, go spend $.99 on a large molly (provided nothing in the tank will eat him). I added one to my CUC and hes even better than a sea hare at clearing up hair algae. On the plus side-he wont starve to death once the problems cleared up. Just spend a day drip acclimating (5-6 hour drip is what I did).

bmkj02

Phosphate and/or Nitrates might not show up cause the algae is consuming it. I would cut back on the lighting and a large water change. Also make sure your lights are not old. Dont depend on a cuc to do it all. Help them out by doing your part and getting some of it out with your hand. When I had my outbreak I had to pick at it and scrub it with a brush everyday till it was under control again. Good luck!!

blackjacktang

Originally Posted by antwon
http:///forum/post/3290615
hello i knew i would encounter this problem eventually i have hair algae and it is starting to spread i have a cuc but they dont help and tried a sea slug and he was great except the next day my arrow crab ate him. is there any way to get rid of this algae that will actually work please help

ive had this happend to my tank in my profile pic, it went away after i picked it out like grass and got a big clean up crew for it